Super Blues 2018 - Official Thread

If Mark O’Sullivan had scored his chance, we’d have got a draw, I think. Glorious opportunity and you can’t be missing them when you’re at our end of the table.

I thought Wearen wasn’t great and neither was Clifford. Karl O’Sullivan was very lively but needed more support going forward from his full-back. I thought Duggy was decent too.

Wouldn’t be very familiar with Alan Murphy either but he was decent.

Morrissey definitely not suited to the lone front man role and I’d have liked to see O’Sullivan on earlier.

EXCLUSIVE: LEDP and Limerick FC respond to Markets Field pitch criticism

THE pitch at the Markets Field came in for more criticism this week following Limerick’s 3-0 defeat to Derry City at the Garryowen venue.

Derry City manager Kenny Shiels called it “absolutely abysmal” claiming that it was “like going back in time” while also calling the surface “a football deterrent”

In response to this latest attack on the pitch surface, the Limerick Leader travelled to the Markets field to meet with Conor Morris, the agronomist in charge of the playing surface for the last six weeks.
ADVERTISEMENT
Advertisement

“I think the pitch is coming on nicely. We are coming out of the worst winter in memory with snow and water levels. We have over seeded it and sanded it, while creating as little disruption to the players and the fixtures. There is slow growth there and that is what is battling against us in terms of making more progress. We can’t do any more it to be honest”

CEO of the LEDP Liam McElligott, added his thoughts on the pitch stating that, as owners of the ground, they were happy with its condition.

“I think the surface speaks for itself. It is a top class pitch”

When asked to respond to the criticism the pitch has received from some managers, players and indeed Limerick FC’s own supporters, McElligott explained the need for the services of Conor Morris and his team.

“We are the proprietors. We make the decisions that are needed, that are best of us and the pitch. We own the pitch, we are in charge of the pitch and its maintenance. We call the shots on it. We do an agreement with all of the users of the ground. We do agreements around maintenance. With some users we do three year arrangements and when we review those agreements we change the conditions within those agreements. Simple as. The controversy doesn’t bother us”

Limerick FC manager Tommy Barrett also had his say on the condition of the famous grounds, stating in an official press release to this paper that his side had to just get on with it.

“The pitch at the Markets Field is maintained by the LEDP. We have a licence to play there – we can only play on the surface that is provided for us. The LEDP took over maintenance of the pitch from Limerick FC at the end of last October. It is clear to everybody that it is not at the standard that it was at last year. A number of teams that have played against us at home this season have commented on the surface but we have just got on with it.” Barrett confirmed.

Agree or not with Shiels’ comments, the fall out from same has led to the confusion surrounding the maintenance of the pitch to be cleared up by all parties concerned.

Limerick FC have had their say, the LEDP too, all that it seems is needed now is some good weather to further improve the surface.

We had the best pitch in the league; now we probably have the worst. If people are saying “the surface speaks for itself. It is a top class pitch.” that is head in the sand (of the Market’s Field) stuff.

Then you’ve got a load of supporters boycotting home games too; potential for younger underage teams to be pulled from next season, it’s not great atm.

On the pitch, we’re not doing terribly; I think Tommy is doing okay, all things considered.

It’s a weird set-up, that the head of the Enterprise Development Board is even commenting on the pitch let alone being responsible for it.

LEDP is a different animal. It was set up to take over the old krups site. It is also the vehicle used by JP to fund the markets field.

Why are schools rugby games played on the markets field ?? Aren’t there enough decent rugby fields in Limerick .

That McElligott fella is away with the birds if he thinks the pitch is in a good or acceptable state.

Probably the worst surface in the league now. Every time a back pass goes to a keeper it’s heart in mouth time as you wait for the bobble. It was like a carpet the last couple of seasons, beautiful surface. Pitch of the year two seasons running - then the catastrophic decision was made to let the rugby crowd in and it has been shocking since. Playing the schools cup match on it during the height of the bad weather has completely fucked it.

Oh Brendy, Brendy :ronnyroar:

Brendan Clarke saves a penalty from Sheppard. Still 0-0 after 15mins.

Crazy amount of penalties conceded this season already - off the top of my head there’s today, Bray last week, Rovers at home, Cork at home, Derry at home and maybe another couple in the trouncings at Dundalk and Derry.

Morrissey!!! :ronnyroar:

Ah ffs.

That didn’t last long. Frustrating. Morrissey still our only player to score more than 1 goal.

Apparently Marky Sull missed a sitter just before Cork went up.

He has missed a heap of chances.

@chops91 is seething

What are the chants . I heard fuck all bad at the cork or Bohs games .

The club is a rabble. Alienating an already scarce fan base.

Pat has done so much for the club but he’s not a football man. The spoofers he has running the club don’t have a notion. Regular statements criticising people who follow the team everywhere, awards for away fans, the dumb pricing policy that sees the most expensive ticket in the league at €18 on certain match days, allowing the pitch to be ruined, wasting a fortune on Stuart Taylor, Neil McDonald etc.

Just bad decision after bad decision.

There’ll barely be 500 at the Pats game on Friday.

Massive weekend coming up. 2 Munster derbies against 2 of the top teams. They will be tight games and hopefully we can get a point or 2

1 Like

Incredible scenes!

2-0 up at the RSC and the home side down to ten men!

1 Like