Tailteann Cup - The new Tommy Murphy

Cavan were one of the participant counties - first game actually. The Cavanman’s view would be:

It’s on the telly and I’ll get the value out of the license.
T’would take €60 in diesel to get up and down before parking.
The childer would want grub either in Dublin or on the road.
You do realise the cost of tickets for this charade (it’s on the telly anyway).
The wife would want to stop on the way home “to make a day” out of it.
Fukkit, they’ll probably win and I’d have to do it all again in a fortnight.
I’ll have 20 acres of meadows mowed before the next day - fuck football in Dublin.
Follyin’ Cavan would have a man in the poorhouse.

Replacing Cavan with any normal county would add 8k to a crowd.

11 Likes

It’s important to try and give the thing a bit of prestige. I expect it will have meant far more to the Sligo keeper to pull off the saves he did today in Croke Park than if he had done it in Hyde Park.

Depends on ticket price surely

Winner going in at quarter final qualifier stage is an interesting one but I suppose the challenge is to make the competition attractive and reasonably prestigious to win in its own right.

It’s a bar stool trope that the GAA were happy to have out there in the early noughties when it suited them to have matches outside CP when it was still being done up, its ludicrous that there’s some magic number which has to be hit which exists in a vacuum from ticket prices and the level of overheads.

They’re well capable of hosting crowds they know will be within a certain range and only open one or two stands, there’s no way the costs of opening the stadium is that high if only the lower Hogan and Davin are open to fans.

2 Likes

The cavans were very confident. I’d expect a decent crowd for the final.

They need to forget about Croker for the semis next year. But look its all a learning curve on this one. They were only giving them croker because they thought it was the right thing to do

1 Like

Winners going in at QF stage is a nonsense. Theres a reason they aren’t in the all ireland series in the first place. There are division two teams getting their holes opened already.

3 Likes

Fuck sake

Correct,you wouldn’t let the intermediate winners in a club competition into the senior quarter finals.Its a competition to win in its own rights.You get to be hammered in the Sam Maguire next year.

It was a great idea to have Cavan Sligo there

Not so much Westmeath Offaly

Yeah true. It’s a stupid idea on mature reflection

Spot on from Parkinson …

1 Like

Carrick-on-Shannon and Longford/Navan were the more apt locations but the dye was cast from the off.
Probably be tweaked next year but I wouldn’t bet on it.

Em, sure the whole concept of the Talltin Cup is about patronising the loser counties.

Agreed. A small tweak will have it much better next year. But it needed this doping this year perhaps.

Be wary of that love myself but no manager should ever appoint his successor

The paucity of Cavan / Sligo jerseys on view during the Westmeath Offaly match broke my heart. Not only was the crowd size deplorable but nobody stuck around to watch the other semi.
Pains me to say it but the death knell has rung for makey uppey 2nd tier competition , the whole county system needs to be reviewed

You would have thought 4 success starved counties would bring a lot more than 16 thousand. But it shows GAA core support is very small.

Cavan aren’t success starved and are very financially prudent

Westmeath and Offaly are regulars in Croke Park via their provincial status. Cavan too mane to travel.
Sligo folk, realising how lucky they were to overcome Leitrim, feared Cavan and stayed away.

2 Likes