Teachers

Nursing has gone to shit in Ireland because of the incompetent HSE and ridiculous salary levels for entry level nurses, which means most emigrate to countries where the profession is well regarded. Any decent nursing program combines academic subjects and clinicals, I can’t imagine the nursing programs in Ireland are that bad. An entry level nurse earns about 25K in Ireland, it’s twice that in Canada and three times that in the US.

Unfortunately doing what you enjoy is unlikely to pay the mortgage along with many other necessary expenses.

Way way better. I have 2 sisters working as nurses in UK. One of them working in Dublin and its very different by all accounts.

Thats complete codswallop anyway.

It’s not unfortunately

I got a decent inter

5 Likes

Its too academic. Thats what all the experienced nurses will tell you. There was always an academic element of course. Its fucked now though as they are going into busy systems with shit skills.

I have had a year of it now in Irish hospitals. The nurses are nowhere near as well trained, no way near as hard working and nowhere near as emphatetic as in the past.

I accept HSE is contributing factor. But i got way too close a front seat ride for it now to believe its just out cooincidences.

I also accept though many of the best are being lured off to other places

Probably because the best of them are in the UK frolicking with @Tassotti

You are talking utter rubbish fagan just to justify your work over the years.

I make a very good living doing what i like.

I also like construction and made planty there that would sustain a mortgage on my own also.

And i know many like me. Look at @Gman as another example. And many others.

Its utter rubbish you are throwing out. And very dated as well. What worked for you worked for you and fair play, but times have changed.

He’s completely right. The snowflakes heading off to college nowadays have your attitude, choose a course based on what you enjoy as opposed to something you’re interested in and you might get a job out of. 3rd level institutes have cynically jumped on this and have tailored courses to match this. Where we once have computer science degrees we now have shite like games development and animation. There are fuck all jobs in these niche areas and are just meat for the grinder as institutes get paid for attendance, not the success of their graduates. Traditional courses are still holding up but this fluff is pointless.

3 Likes

:clap:

You once did a course where there were jobs out of, not any more, snowflakes are too picky to stick out a job that might require a bit of graft or nous.

1 Like

Yes as i say many have left. But its still too poor im a general sense. Not all the good ones leave either.

Maybe so but you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

@Fagan_ODowd is a taxi driver who makes a few extra quid from gangland nixers every now and then. Hardly your usual way of life.

4 Likes

You are talking about something totally different.

And i’m not necessarily disgreeing with what you are saying. But its a different point.

Yes they dallie up the courses. But at the same time the fu damentals of Computer Science will betaight, and thats what matters.

Its still the brave and hardworking that come thru.

Like my game:
S&C Degree in LIT
Sports Science Degree in UL
Athletic Therapy Degree in Carlow
Sports & Business Degree in CIt

70% of all those course have alot of the same stuff.
Anatomy & Physiology, Biomechanics of Movement, Nutrition etc etc.

Thats just the way it is.

Lots of those gamer degrees are funded by companies. Irish lads get oulled all over the world. Same with cyber security i believe.

So i think you may be missing the point somewhat even if you are probably right in some cases.

It’s supply and demand. There’s a huge demand for nurses worldwide and they are paid far better abroad, so any wifh a bit of ambition and desire to see the world and make a bit of money will leave. I suspect what you’re seeing personally is the front end of the bell curve in terms of quality.

Generally i agree.

I would state though, good nurses tend to have a certain empathy about them. They also though tend to be close to family and home birds. So while they may go for a while, many of them come home too.

Friend of mine works in LIT Thurles, told me none of these graduates are getting jobs.

Sure he did

He did, ya.