Teachers

I said it’s a ridiculous analogy.

Children’s education is important which is why more should be demanded of teachers than people with the mindset of a part time job and who are willing to forego those children’s education needs and strike to add to their already very comfortable job.

Look, the likes of you now is to double standards what Al Porter is to shyness. You seem terribly exercised about insults until it comes to your turn. And, of course, the Aughnacloy Shaman aka Eoghan Harris can say what he likes.

It gives me great pleasure to rile rancid fuckers like you, with literary delusions. Joe O’Connor and John Boyne are probably your favourite writers.

Well said @Juhniallio. He had a snarl at me for no good reason earler :grinning:

they need to attract people to the job because you can earn a lot more in other industries over the course of a career.

so no answer. Ok then.

You’re whole argument is teachers are the same as other professions, so you’ve ridiculed your own argument

No they don’t.

What makes these people who are in the job suitable for it because their primary motivation is 3 months off for the year?

How has 100k salaries attracted the best people to the Dail for instance? It hasn’t, it has put incompetent fools in positions and no accountability for mistakes.

Teachers face very little appraisal on their performance, they have almost guaranteed job security and pay rises. So that actually negates your point.

Not at all. You simply won’t engage on the bits you don’t like.

Teachers have many unique benefits and perks that other profession don’t.

They have many complaints and whines about their jobs that are not unique.

Not my point though, my point was you don’t necessarily need to be a natural mathematician to teach even leaving cert maths. It may help, but is not a prerequisite.

How many weeks per annum should children be in school?

You owe me an apology first.

Yes, and medicine should be targeting people of genuine empathy and durability, with no interest in the financial reward, and the law should be targeting people of the highest morality, and I should be dating Cameron Diaz, but there you go.

How many times have you used the line ‘x or y are probably your favourite writers?’
Sad that a fella who clearly values linguistic intelligence so highly is so unoriginal himself. A sad, desperate, washed up hack, stooping so low as to argue with the great unwashed on an internet forum. I’d say the bitterness sweeps in fast after a few whiskeys alright.

7 Likes

Agreed.

That’s my point.

In relation to primary school, on an academic level it doesn’t really get much more complex than long division does it? Or verbs, nouns, adjectives does it?

So you clearly don’t have to have serious academic levels to be a teacher, you just need some very suitable personal and emotional characteristics I feel whereas for other professions you do need high levels of academic education to have knowledge on things in science, maths, medicine and law for a few examples.

No, I do not.

You might apologise for this as of yet unsubstantiated claim.

list them, remember a possible potential consequence being the future prospects of a child are worse. List a similarly paid profession where the outcome of underperforming is that.

your whole argument is based on undermining the responsibility a teacher has every year and downplaying how important the role really is.

You see I think it’s the reverse I think they have unique perks and benefits.

I don’t think anything they complain or moan about that I’ve heard is unique to teachers. I think there are far more demanding jobs, far more stressful and pressured jobs, jobs with far more extra unpaid hours.

Not many professions have the propensity to strike as teachers do. Generally you try and find something new if you’re unhappy with work, not forego your duties in an attempt to strong arm your employer to cave in.

everybody gets holidays. everybody gets paid.

It is a very uniquely challenging job with massive responsibilities.

I think you have to have extremes of patience, and be of very high EQ to be a good teacher. High EQ does not go hand in glove with mathematical ability, but the two are linked. No system is perfect. The Irish education system is as good as is available anywhere in the world on the whole. This is facilitated almost completely by a stable highly functioning safe and fair society by and large, but there’s chicken and egg in this. I really can’t understand your problem with teaching and teachers. I’m not sure, but I reckon I’d struggle badly with it. To my mind good teachers, and the vast majority are good teachers, are worth every penny and more.

1 Like

No that’s your contention and it’s your contention as you try to portray their whines and moans as unique to teaching. They are not.

What legitimises teachers striking? Rather than make false assertions why don’t you actually put some meat on your own viewpoint.