Teachers

They have. I was chatting to a pal who is a teacher nd said I see a load of their kids in McDonalds having breakfast in the mornings.
“That’s the ones that can afford breakfast” she said “there are plenty who can’t”
This is didsbury high school, part of the laurus trust, albeit it’s not actually in didsbury, it’s in southern cemetery, nearest the old moat estate, and they base applications mostly on as the crow flies distance.

“They”? Who is “they”?

Government I.e. Tories

That’s how all applications to state schools are done. Certainly primary. There’s a point on the school grounds and then catchment areas are done from there.
Faith schools are different. They go by Parish first.

Not in manc. Faith schools select on faith. Also have a sliding priority of siblings in the school, etc etc. Actual distance from the school usually is only a smallish factor. Altrincham grammar, which is the selective entry state school with the best exam results, and natural habitat of the sharpest elbowed parents in greater Manchester run entirely on entrance exam results, but have a higher mark for those outside the catchment area (whatever that is).

You’re right, there are other factors too depending on the schools own admissions policy. Grammar schools/selective state schools have their own policies again.
But Catchment areas are normally measured in straight lines. So you could have a case where one house on a road gets in but further down the road they’d miss out.
Catholic schools in Birmingham go by Catholics in the parish then other Catholics. Siblings jump ahead of this inthink.

1 Like

It’s a bit more crooked here. Ours didn’t get into the first choice primary school. Other kids living significantly further away did.
You shrug and move on.

Are you still living in Didsbury mate? Thought you were back in Galway for some reason.

Priests used have more say in faith school admissions which is why you’d see mass rammed with young children for a year before hand. Our PP is shrewd enough so knew the ones not in the parish.

1 Like

Hopefully soon.
There’s a lot of reasons now to move home, sufficient that herself agrees we should.
Just a matter of waiting to find work now.

1 Like

The local C of E primary, you’d to get a book stamped at church every Sunday for over a year to stand a chance :joy::joy::joy:
Wouldn’t mind but because it was perceived as the better of the free primary schools, all the sharp elbows suddenly found faith, then equally suddenly lost it when the stamps reached a quorum.
An entirely transactional local religion.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: It’s some cod. Our local Catholic school was “Outstanding” for ten years so the parents seemed to treat it like a private school (most of the children would end up in private school or Grammar) and expect everything. The old head indulged them. They got graded Good last year and the new head was delighted as some of the more snobby ones took their children out :joy: Same school, same results.

1 Like

Isn’t there a few McDonalds in Galway?

I said I’d get that in there before @Batigol

Well I certainly hope so. Are there any in Limerick?

There’s a few around the place alright. I wouldn’t be a lover myself though.

Interestingly they had one in the city centre but they closed it down because they said it wasn’t big enough. Figure that one out if you can.

Tommy Bowe is a good interviewer. Never lets the politicians off the hook

Norma Foley talking some amount of rubbish here

3 Likes

He’s not afraid to ask questions and even follow them up when they start waffling to be fair to him.Ive only seen clips of him tbf I don’t watch it much.

1 Like

I never knew he was on telly. I do like Norma though. She’s such a new romantic.

Same iv only ever seen the clips…he gave Leo a right grilling as well before

1 Like

She might be that she is some waffler though

He’s on the telly for ages…you surely saw his most famous clip :joy: Alan partridge job

3 Likes