Teachers

Yes. Less chancers who are there for the doss job and extended holidays will pursue teaching.

It’s a good wage for 9 months work. It’s unlikely that many are on 40k if new entrants on a sh!te deal start on 32k. The average wage would be over 50k They are free to work summer months if they want to top up their salary.

Deal was signed by other teaches to protect their own interest.

You said teaching was a low paid job. I’ve posted earlier that it looks quite an attractive wage for the amount of time worked.

1 Like

He runs away when his bullshit is called out.

@glasagusban is afraid of his own shadow

I’d consider it a low paid job from the perspective of any potential new entrant and in light of the amount of years in education required. Would you disagree?

Yes. Most graduate jobs would not pay 30k for 9 months of work.

Look at entrant level Gardai, Nurses and Civil Servants. They all earn less for 12 month years than teachers do for 9 months and that’s just a public sector comparison. Trainee solicitors and accountants would earn less than a teacher starting out on average, again that’s not even taking the pro rata comparison into account.

They spend the same amount of time in university as any graduate these days.

If you pro-rata 9 month up to 11 months then 32k becomes 39k which is a more accurate reflection of the staring salary of a teacher. They also have the option to earn some extra cash during summer if they so wish. A HDip is not that hard to get when compared with certain other qualifications.

So they get a fictional extra 7, that’s nice.

9 too 11 months is being generous too. It’s more like 9 to 12 or 8 to 11.

No, I’m simply making a more accurate comparison.

1 Like

No you’re saying they get a fictional 3 months where they don’t get paid

Supply and demand by and large determines salary levels. There appears to be no shortage of teachers in Ireland so why would salaries be higher? Teaching is seen as a handy number so people flock to it as a career, especially people who desire lots of free time for sports, etc.

I would support higher salaries for teachers if there was any accountability in the profession, but like most of the public service (not just Ireland) there is almost no accountability. My own experience of education in Ireland were about 25% excellent teachers, 50% average, and 25% woeful. Nobody ever got fired though, some after decades of woeful performance. Maybe that’s changed, how common is it for shit teachers to be fired these days?

1 Like

So you’d get a better standard of candidate if you offered 25% less wages and longer working hours. This is what you are saying here?

1 Like

It’s unheard of mate, I get what you mean but I don’t think it’s fair to bring it up, there’s shit workers in every job, it’s unfortunate that there are obviously very bad, lazy teachers but in my experience they are few and far between, there’s a lot more brilliant teachers who are underpaid in my view. Of course the holidays are a huge bonus but I think the pay reflects that, the paperwork required nowadays is a million miles from our own schooldays, I don’t think any parents would wish for a downgrade in teachers wages or working conditions, you would certainly get a lesser experience, I want my kids to get the very best they can, it’s not a job that can be done by anybody and I think it’s only right that it does what it can to attract the very best.
A teacher on 30k is under a hell of a lot more pressure than most people on an equivalent wage I’d say.

Sigh

1 Like

:smile:

No we’d get a cheaper version of the same thing.

2 Likes

You don’t believe that mate :confused:

I’d be all in favour of paying teachers more. Nickel and diming on the education sector isn’t a particularly clever strategy.

2 Likes

It’s all about pre school education. Damage is done by 5 unfortunately. Investment should go there in terms of bang for buck.

Teachers will be made redundant as curriculum is rolled out using AI and can move at pace of the pupil.

Like train drivers their time is limited. In ten years 50 per cent of all jobs will be automated.