Teachers

Seamus Lahart was on Newstalk there a while ago. He disgraced himself, talking about creating more middle management and coughing down his sleeve. The teachers will have no support in their next strike. None.

I suppose it’s anything whatsoever done outside of official school hours seeing as those are the only hours teachers are being paid for

1 Like

I’ve a friend that runs home work clubs - attends courses - sits on the board (I believe all teachers take a turn - and there’s a long running legal action going on here and she sits in on 3 hour long meetings at a time) - and puts on performances/shows with after school practice. That’s all off her own back. She probably does a whole pile of other stuff too.

I had another friend teaching in an uber DEIS school and they were almost running a counselling shop after school - mentoring the kids who were dealing with all kids of fucked up shit…

But yeah - teachers do 3-4 hours a day and put their feet up then for the rest of the day.

4 Likes

How do you think teachers would fare when compared with other jobs if “pay per hour worked” were used as an indicator?

Fair play @Cicero_Dandi. Obviously a slow week (yet another) in logistics and youve decided to engage the teachers to suck up their time off. Good luck with your endeavours.

@Horsebox, i think you’re wrong. The teachers will always have the support of a huge cohort of society… most of the people who have children.

1 Like

A lot of people work long hours. It’s not exclusive to teachers.

Uber Deis is a great term. Where is that school?

Who said it was? - Teachers have an amazing impact on young people’s lives - they literally shape the future of the country and can change a young person’s life… they deserve to be well paid for it.

Moyross

They are well paid. Did you not read the report?

Yes and all i’m saying is that it’s well deserved.

Good points,for her and her ilk it’s a a vocation- deserve every penny they’re paid

They’re doing great work over there, Tiernan will work himself into the grave but he’s some man, I taught a year in the neighbouring area with similar set up, Uber DEIS is right

Nasty dig there but I’ll ignore it.

How much do teachers think they should be paid? This is not nurses we’re talking about, people who are actually overworked. This is more or less a part time job we’re talking about.

You’re on about the extra hours teachers work. Their core hours are 9-4 which is a very short working day. They have Christmas, Easter, 2 mid-terms and the summer off. They get well paid for the actual hours they work. They have little to complain about.

A lot of the nay sayers here have no idea what teachers really do … The shit they face from parents - I actually couldnt do it justice myself if I tried to put it into words … that same friend has had different parents over the last few years giving her an awful time because their ‘special’ little Johnny/Joanne are not excelling or are not being classed as ADHD and need extra support … it’s off the scale the way some parents think and behave when it comes to their kids in school.

2 Likes

I dont think anyone is complaining?

1 Like

Fuck it ---- I’m gonna go back and become a primary teacher.

2 Likes

This is the joke, you’ve lads here so eager for an internet argument to shorten the working day and steal from their employers that they’re making stuff up :grinning:

2 Likes

Lolzers, they’re always complaining. They’ll probably threaten strike action now seeing as the nurses got an actual deserved pay rise. They go about their concern for student welfare but if you checked who were on strike most I would say teachers are well up there.