Teachers

Nothing will change if parents adopt that attitude.

1 Like

Apparently we’ve finished the curriculum this week and the next two weeks will be creative and active schools’ activities.
I am of the firm belief that primary schools should have finished with teaching at the end of May and used August for the logistics of reopening
FWIW South Korean schools are open but not to the extent that some in the media here believe.
The equivalents of Leaving Certs are back in school for 5 days, then at home for 14 and so on.
All the other years are only in one day per week.
They are, however delivering lessons via zoom or some Korean equivalent

1 Like

I agree. And yet I don’t really have the time to be mounting a challenge on their policy. I think they were just caught out at the start, made a bad decision and stuck by it. Be a different story come September if they think they’ll be doing that again if there are reduced hours. But at this stage it’s just easier because we’re doing our own stuff anyway. There’s nothing like letting young Esteban lose on TFK for a few hours to see him develop.

4 Likes

My kids schools were same. Not absolving them completely but seems there was zero guidance or expectations laid out for a completely new situation. If they found out what best schools were doing after week 2 and told all other to do that.

We were the same, very little to nothing for the first 5 weeks which understandably led to difficulties with engagement, plus I’m rubbish at it. Then an avalanche of stuff to cover in a timetable format.
Ours is a rural school so half the kids are feral now, roaming the land .

4 Likes

My one is learning to write in cursive in Junior Infants. It seems a bit mental to me. One night she had to come home and learn 3 different versions of the same letter.

I can understand that but it really grates on me when I see teachers being so unprofessional. That quality of service is just not acceptable in my book. It has all the signs of poor management.

Our primary school has been awful. Absolutely awful. The second class teacher puts up what to do each day, it’s literally her saying do page x on the English book and page x on the maths book. For a few weeks we had no books so was completely pointless. The tasks for the full week would generally take our one about an hour, two max to do. So we’ve just been doing our own stuff with her, more craft and that. We wait til Friday to get the full weeks work and pick a wet day during the week for her to do the set school work. The junior class teacher has been far better, lots of activities and things to do. But in general, the whole thing was a shambles from the school. Little to no point going to the principal. Just glad they aren’t older and needing more work to do.

2 Likes

Is she very advanced or is that what they are all doing?

My little one is due to start junior infants in September and any time I try do letters with her she starts drawing rainbows and such like after about D.

Any advice from teachers? I’m inclined to leave her off but don’t want her to be behind the curve.

1 Like

Teachers are frauds, lads.

3 Likes

What age is she?
I would wait until she is 5

She is 5. She is very willful.

I know a primary school teacher who’s been flat out working the whole time. Disadvantaged school, trying to keep them engaged was very stressful as many of the parents had no interest. She somehow managed to secure all of them their end of year hoodies despite many not having paid full whack. Teachers are fucking heroes

3 Likes

It’s the school more than the teachers. The same email goes out to the 4 classes in the year and it’s sent by the principal. It’s a shambles in fairness but I think the Department have been really poor on it too. They basically sat on their hands and made no policy decisions to try and get some sort of uniformity in how children were taught. (But God forbid a school would decide to reduce the amount of RE they wanted to teach).

3 Likes

It’s a new thing in the school. Apparently it’s some initiative from the department but up to the school to implement it. Daughter is bright and likes reading and writing but hates writing in cursive.

1 Like

My 7 year old class the same . . Not much input from teacher… But sure we get on with it and she’ll be fine… She can learn different skills in this current crisis . I’m actually proud of how she just gets on with not seeing her mates etc. or having it all her own way with mammy and daddy busy with work … To me, teachers work within a system… Once the system breaks, the majority are fcuked… You have the few who go beyond the call… Same in any job.

8 Likes

Ah now, the one bright spot has been no RE…

1 Like

Jaysus, you don’t want them developing a dislike of writing so young, they’ve plenty of years to be doing it

I’m not a teacher but I look after the U 6s in our camogie club and I love that they get distracted and make daisy chains and bring me grass salads on their hurls

4 Likes

Ah yeah, I don’t want to take any of that out of her. She’ll be doing it long enough. Still, if other schools are doing cursive at junior infants I don’t want her going in over head because I love her pictures