TFK 2022 Fun Running Log Thread

Lads. I know we are probably more of a Saucony forum these days but Adrenalin Sports in Newcastle West have a terrific sale at the moment on Hoka and Asics running shoes. I picked up a pair of Hokas there for 79 quid (+6.50 postage). The same pair are 140 direct from Hoka.

3 Likes

How did the achilles hold up today @fenwaypark?

Not great. Be sore tomorrow. I’m thinking it’s more peroneal tendon than achilles or maybe both.

Its definitely my achilles, very sore today. Physio wednesday.

2 Likes

Any of you who get/got covid and then head out, mind yourself. Did 5k last evening and it agitated my chest something rotten. Has put me back a few days I’d say.

4 Likes

Great running tonight @Bandage . You are in great shape.

Ive achilles tendonitis. On easy list for a few weeks. Disappointing but when you read about fistoffury, it puts it all in perspective.

5 Likes

If I would dare to offer you any advice, it’d be to stick rigidly to the rehab plan and don’t be tempted to rush back and risk aggravating it!

I enjoyed that run tonight, thanks. Despite Strava saying my heart was hopping on the last of the three 1 mile laps, I felt grand and was even picking people off.

2 Likes

100 percent. That run tonight was easier in a group than doing it on your own. Id say you surprised yourself on how you performed relative to existing members.

2 Likes

Yep, that was my experience alright. It was a similar pace to the sub 22-minute Parkrun you primed me for a couple of months ago but I felt much more comfortable throughout. I was in a little group of 4 for most of it and I made sure not to do too much drafting!

3 Likes

I’ve been chatting with the local club who are enthused about my potential signing. I’d expect a full announcement on their social media pages in the next few days #preparetobeunderwhelmed

6 Likes

Brilliant running again @bandage. Some going for January.

1 Like

@Bandage , runs after Wednesday session last night should be no more than 45 mins at recovery pace. That effort Wednesday night is hard and so you want to take it nice snd slowly, especially when running in the morning.

1 Like

Noted, pal. I reverted back to the Thursday activity on the weekly plan on the assumption last night’s club session replaced your hard Wednesday session. I should have confirmed with you before running this morning though. Should I go ahead with a long run tomorrow as per original plan or pull back a bit?

Thanks @caulifloweredneanderthal. I kept ticking over during Christmas so haven’t really lost the fitness I’d built up.

2 Likes

Fair play. I didn’t see many entries from you on the Ravenous thread over the festive period.

1 Like

Last night’s effort would be harder on the body that what I had you doing. You should be fine for long run tomorrow. Just cap it at 120 mins and take it nice and easy. If you are feeling crap, don’t hessitate to pull back.

Will Wednesday’s session with club be the same every week?

1 Like

To my eternal shame, it’s a thread I’ve let get away from me and I’ve hundreds of unread posts. Now I did gorge on chocolate brownies with mint choc ice-cream and various other bits, but I’m long overdue posting a picture of my speciality dish - potato waffles with beans.

5 Likes

So that was the first of eight club league rounds, but it’s every second Wednesday rather than every week and the distances vary between 1 mile and 3 miles. Schedule below but people seemed to be running to and from the venue and doing laps of the course before and after the “race” to fit in with their own training plans so I can be flexible enough around it.

19 Jan - 2 miles
2 Feb - 3 miles
16 Feb - 2 miles
2 Mar - 3 miles
16 Mar - 1 mile
30 Mar - 1 mile
13 Apr - 3 miles

There’s also the Raheny 5 Mile on Sunday 30 Jan, which I’ve been told is a great club occasion and that I should sign up for. Think @Wexford1996 is down to run in this.

2 Likes

Has it been pure running you have done over last year or do you do any S&C or palates etc to prep the body for all the mileage ?

Just running to be honest. With a little bit of stretching and the odd foam roll of the calves. No weight training, even though I still have my 5 (five) and 10 (ten) kg dumbbells in the press.

1 Like

Yeah I’m entered anyway. Have never ran it before but have heard it’s a great race. I’m doing a cross country over your direction on Sunday in St Anne’s Park.

1 Like