TFK 2022 Fun Running Log Thread

What would a lad want to be aiming for starting out running lads? Would 5k be a reasonable target and then try to get the 5k time down to a respectable time ?

Granted the yellow circle probably covers a huge area

1 Like

5k is a good starting point.
Easy build up gradually from there if you find it beneficial.

2 Likes

Good luck for Sunday. Raheny is hosting the event but I don’t know what part of St Anne’s Park is being used for the race. It’s cross country, right? So all grass or are pathways/avenues in use?! What distance is it? I might try to get down for a look. What time is it starting at? Lots of questions there…

1 Like

Agreed. And depending on where you’re starting from @the_mixer_walsh, you can build up to 5km if you’re not used to running that distance in one go. For example, run for 2 minutes, walk for 1 minute and repeat however many times. Building it up so you’re running for longer and the walk periods are diminishing etc etc. Lots of 5km training plans online irrespective of whether it’s beginner, intermediate or advanced level. They’ll give you a good guide on how to approach it.

2 Likes

Yep, 6K cross country and starting at half 1 I think. It’d be very competitive so I’ll be out the back somewhere. Good few from the club doing it so I said I might as well.

1 Like

Big Raheny contingent running too what with the club hosting, and there’s also a new team award/cup in honour of the club chairman who died suddenly last year so they want to make a good fist of claiming that. Think you’re being modest there, you’ll be far from out the back.

I’d say there’ll be at least 10 from my own club ahead of me. I’ll be in around 24 mins I reckon unless it’s a complete bog which I guess it could be. Could some of the top guys in around 20 mins.

1 Like

Thanks for that. Last year I was managing to do 5k twice a week but slow enough times. I always struggled and ran for about 4 months until giving it up. I never enjoyed it while running like I hear so many say they do but definitely did feel good an hour or so afterwards. Would like to get into a proper routine of it again

4 Likes

I found it a bit chicken and egg. I didn’t properly start enjoying it until I got fitter so I had to go through that initial period of building up a base effectively from scratch. Others are much better qualified to give advice, but I think getting comfortable running the distance, say 5km, would be a good starting point. Then you could work on trying to do it quicker over time. That might involve stuff like intervals (e.g. 1km hard followed by 1km easy & repeat x2 or x3) and sprints. Then putting it together & seeing how you get on.

4 Likes

Huzzah!

Just got an email confirming the Lisbon Eco Marathon, which we entered by accident, has been postponed due to Covid and we can claim a refund.

12 Likes

Build easy, no fancy stuff. Head out for 20 mins, nice and slow. Run that as often as you can during the week. Increase by 10 percent each week so aim for 22 mins in second week. Once you are up to running 45mins, you can start trying some quick stuff. The more you get out, the fitter you will get and the more enyoyable it becomes.

The main thing is run slowly and dont chase the clock.

3 Likes

Like little red blood cells.

2 Likes

You never get entirely comfortable, no matter how fit you are. The first few k of any run are unpleasant. You then once warmed up go through a spell of feeling good, before feeling bad again near the end.
The spell of feeling good lasts longer and further the fitter you get.
That’s what I find anyway.
No matter how fit, it’s hard on the joints.
That’s what I find.

1 Like

I’m doing a cross country 5km on Sunday. Should I wear my ordinary runners or my Nike Trails?

Something with grip. Trails or spikes. On normal runners it’ll be like running on ice

1 Like

I’ve the all clear to resume light jogging in 2 weeks if I continue my rehab as I’ve been doing so far :ronnyroar:

4 Likes

In.

Going to chart how little impact Covid has had on prime unvaccinated athletes.

1 Like

How will you log your training? I can’t see you signing up to the likes of Strava and giving ‘the man’ over all your personal information.

I’ll post screenshots and if that’s not good enough for you then I don’t really care.

People on here know my word is the most expensive currency you can find on these boards.

5 Likes