TFK Hurling team of the last 20 years - Centre Back

Enjoy. Whatever happened the Irish soccer team one?

Interest didnā€™t seem to be there for it.

We are three polls into this and i already have a couple of shaved apes hopping like sausages in a frying pan and plenty of debate stimulated.

The gaelic football polls will be great conversation pieces

2 Likes

MELTDOWN

Enjoy the rest of your weekend anyway big mick.

Youā€™re a busted flush around here these days. Jog on.

Thanks for that Timmy Mallet.

Larry never played centre back.

I was just ensuring he was getting a nomination somewhere.
In any case, neither did Joe canning, but heā€™d be the best there ever was

2 Likes

You spelt Ronan Curran wrong

Between Ken and Curran. The two Kilkenny lads, Brick and Oā€™Mahoney were all very good solid functional centre backs while Seanie was one of the great centre backs of all time and was excellent up to his last game v Kilkenny in 2006 but will be remembered for his 90s exploits.

Ken probably the better hurler but Curran the more natural centre back.

4 Likes

Great post

Hannon should be on the list

Centre back on a team who won the league, Munster, All-Ireland and world title in 15 months but just not good enough to make the shortlist.

Ah now, heā€™ll probably get a nomination in the forwards where heā€™d be less likely to get any votes and thereby mess up @Big_Dan_Campbellā€™s poll.

Gearoid Mcinerney won league, provincial and all Ireland in the one year and didnā€™t make it.

1 Like

Serious question, how many years did Ronan Maher and Paudie Maher each play centre back?

Ronan was centre back in 2016 and 2017 and for a good few games last year.

Ronan falls into the same hole as Padraig Walsh. Both have been deployed all over the backs and midfield to plug holes. Walshā€™s best spot is probably wing back but he had stood out elsewhere. The Tipp backs of the last five years have been fluid to make up for a lack of options in the full backline but if you were naming their main backs since 2015 itā€™s Barrett corner back, Barry full back, Kennedy right half back, Ronan centre and Paudie left half back. I canā€™t recall Brendan Maher playing much at six aside from under Eamonn Oā€™Shea. He had moved between wing back and midfield until his spells as a man marker this year.

On that basis I went for Ronan as a nominee at centre and Walsh as a wing back nominee

Limerick lads can be outraged all they want. I am being consistent as I can here.

If you were to think back in time and if we were having a debate in 2000 as to what the best team of the last 20 years is I donā€™t think anyone outside of Cork (or those inside it) would be pushing too hard for Donal Og, the Rock, Sean og, Joe Deane et al to be included. Five years later it would be a different conversation.

Same if we had this in 2010, you couldnā€™t include Paudi, Brendan Maher, Noel McGrath, Callinan et al or even Lar Corbett for that matter but they went on and built on it.

Limerick have fine young team and will be a very relevant team for the next 5 years at least. Iā€™m sure that when we are having this debate in five years or ten years time that the likes of the Caseys, Hannon, Hayes Gillane et al will feature prominently and Iā€™d expect Cian Lynch and Finn to do well in this vote as they are both real standouts in their positions. Ye are arguing the toss on marginal calls in a completely partisan manner, it isnā€™t a big conspiracy to blackguarding ye. Iā€™m happy to explain my rational and debate all nominees and non nominees. If ye want to have a poll full of limerick lads then start ones for the best hurlers if the last five years after this one.

5 Likes

I wouldnt count on it

Thereā€™s about three people Iā€™d listen to on hurling matters on here and you are one of them. I donā€™t really believe you think Nash or the Galway chap are better than Nicky Quaid. You dangled a carrot for the limerick mob.