TFK Hurling team of the last 20 years - Centre forward

Surely callinan and Reid are a good level above everyone else on that list

Callinan is a truly great forward.

Reid wasn’t even ranked by Brian Cody as one of the best 6 forwards in Kilkenny for most of the first seven seasons of his inter-county career from 2007-13. No shows in the All Ireland Finals of 2016 & 19 and the 2018 quarter final against Limerick count against him too. Reflecting on it a bit more, TJ is not in contention as one of my forward picks. Seamie is in the hunt though.

3 Likes

Fwiw…
Reid Canning Shefflin
Kelly Callanan McGrath

Callanan is the top scoring player from play of all time. There has not been a better full forward in the last 20 years in terms of effectiveness and efficiency

They play way more games now so those stats are meaningless.

But by definition most of the players under consideration played in the modern era too

He has less championship appearances than Canning and Shefflin

JC for me. Half Limerick sure.

Galway made him, Limerick moulded him.

Agreed. Shefflin and Canning half forward. Callinan full forward.

1 Like

Mullane would definitely be in my team.

I think I’d have to have Larkin too.

That is my logic too. It’s a bit of a slap in the face to outstanding hurlers like them to just stick joe at 12 or Callinan at 15 to shoe horn them in.

Does it make more sense to leave better hurlers out? It’s a pick your poison proposition no matter which way you go. Larkin excelled in that individual role he had but I wouldn’t have him ahead of anyone in that HF line. Mullane, Lar, Brennan, Horgan all brilliant inside men worth a shout.

I really really rate Larkin, I think he was a phenomenal hurler. I think I rate him higher than Reid over the course of both their careers.

1 Like

Yeah I can see the case for it, Larkin spent longer as an automatic choice on what was the pre-eminent team of it’s time.

Larkin was Mr. Consistency but was also a game changer, his timing and decision making were unbelievable. He worked incredibly hard too. Very hard to split himself and TJ for me too. I’d probably go with both

Richie Power is arguably the most underrated forward of the last 20 years. He was the one fella who could have gotten to the kings and smoking joes level were it not for injuries.

I’d probably go Reid, Shefflin, Power, Mullane, Canning and Corbett. Eoin Kelly is unlucky but Joe is the better 14 for me.

Whelan and Kelly in the corners.