TFK Hurling Team of the last 20 years - Corner backs

Corbett gave one of the all time greatest AI Final displays in 2010, he drove Tyrell to the brink where he was googling Corbett’s boot colour after

1 Like

He wouldn’t even bring him on in a game where their full back line had conceded 2-20 sure

Think lads are judging Tyrell on his unpleasant personality.

He’s nailed on here tbh.

4 Likes

He was possibly never the best defender for his club.

He is mr corner back.

3 Likes

Ah will you stop, his career was well over at that stage, they may as well have brought in Dick O’ Hara

2 Likes

Look he did very well for himself and maximised the little Hurling ability he had. No doubt about that.

Canning outhurled some of the most skilful forwards in the game. He didn’t rely on dirt or physicality to beat guys and he did that at a time when corner backs were a lot more limited than they are now, and he contributed to attack which no corner back did when canning was starting out. I genuinely don’t think any corner backs come close to him. Finn has hit that level on a few occasions and Barrett maybe but he’s an out an out tramp. Hickey in 2014 was at that level, he outhurled guys at corner back and didn’t have much in the way of dirt in him. Tyrell was exceptional but a completely different type of hurler, I like that canning outhurled fellas, the two of them in your two corners and you wouldn’t fear much.

1 Like

Finn and Canning. In that order

Barrett outhurls his man in the same manner if we are talking on field. If we are talking off field, then it’s nothing to do with hurling

@Big_Dan_Campbell, it’s letting me choose up to 11 selections.

Can you pick Jackie 11 times?

Canning is the clear winner here, no question at all,
I’ve given Sherlock the number 2 because he’s the next best

2 Likes

Ollie Canning roasting Eoin Kelly (Tipp) - and even outscoring him from play - in that qualifier in Salthill was as good a corner back display as there has been.

Matched maybe by Seamus Hickey on TJ Reid in 2014.

3 Likes

:laughing:

Yeah, the poll functionality is temperament as fuck. We either cancel what’s there or drive on to fuck and the two with the most votes get the slots

:smile:

The Limerick lads gushing over Sean Finn would remind you of the same sort of guff they were spouting about Mark Keane and David Breen back in the day

1 Like

Canning was a great bit of stuff, super hurler and great man marker.

1 Like

Ah Shtop :laughing: