TFK International Business Travel Thread

No doubt, the walls do close in on a fella. Its requires a completely different discipline to office based work.

Donā€™t miss it really. Most of my trips were to the UK for a few days so nothing too exciting. This shit about having to shake someoneā€™s hand and look them in the eye is gone out the window and business is much easier for it.

1 Like

The work itself Iā€™ve been flat out as we put 70% of our staff on furlough and are working our way through a huge number of redundancies. But only moving between your bedroom and spare room every day gets seriously shit after a while.

There is some seriously tough times on the way for many people and these government subsidy schemes are only masking the problem.

5 Likes

Havenā€™t been away since my week in Trump Chicago in January. Donā€™t really miss it. Havenā€™t travelled as much in the last couple of years anyway. Pain in the hole.

2 Likes

Iā€™m already starting to miss my annual October jaunt to lombardy. Iā€™m half tempted to go even if thereā€™s not a cent to be made.

[quote=ā€œPhattPike, post:2425, topic:17308, full:trueā€] ating well between airports and hotels is a struggle. I donā€™t miss getting into DUB at 11pm of a Thursday

[/quote]

These 2 things were really killing me the last few years, arriving in DUB at 11pm feeling shit after a couple of days eating shite. Not getting to sleep until 1am because youā€™re wound up and getting up again at 6am with young kids, getting them ready for School and heading back to the office to try catch up on the emails of the previous few days.

Canā€™t say I miss it at all really

6 Likes

I donā€™t miss the delayed flights and hours spent fannying around BRU and arriving home at 1.30 am

That said, these teams meetings with 20 odd people for whom English is a second language is horrendous and more painful than the above

3 Likes

I was commuting to london, leaving at 4.30 on a monday morning and getting home at 1am on a Friday morning, for the last three years. Cork, Stansted. It was grand. The occasional Cork-Southampton flight to spend a few days at IBM hursley. Winchester is the dullest place in the world.

The time at home has been a god send, really. Iā€™ll have to get back on the horse when it opens up, but Iā€™m really making the most of not being on the road

10 Likes

Thatā€™s the flip side of it alright. Spending a lot less time trying to decide which food outlet in OSL Iā€™m going to give another chance. Spending a lot more time on time-sliced meetings with Europeans chasing words and hosts chasing ā€œnext stepsā€.

I love the way they are initially so optimistic (lying bastards) about delays. 20 minutes turns into an hour, 90 minutes, 2 hours etc.

I got fair sick of Leon and itsu at Stansted. And I couldnā€™t even have a pint in the wetherspoons cos Iā€™d the car at the far end

2 Likes

Gone for the whole week every week?

Three out of four weeks most of the time. I was flat out every week for the first 18 months getting it off the ground

Iā€™d take a month every now and then and just tell them I wasnt travelling when I got exhausted. I had a gaff in Southwark that I was renting. When I had to go to Southampton i stayed with a lovely family in an Air BNB in Hursley. She used to make me cookies to bring into work.

They know well. They just want to string you along. Bastards did me on a flight to Tenerife last year from Shannon. Loaded everyone into the plane and as soon as we sat down. Sorry guys thereā€™ll be a two hour delay. Made us sit on the plane for the two hours and weā€™d a 9 month old with us. The whole thing had been timed around flying when we were supposed to so basically she slept for the two hours we were on the ground and was wide awake for the four hour flight. Cunts knew we were delayed before they boarded us too. The absolute bastards

And the way they do the check-in before the plane has even arrived so thereā€™s loads standing waiting on the airway for an hour and a half :angry:

1 Like

Or leaving you standing outside in either the freezing cold or the sweltering heat while they clean the plane. Itā€™s never a normal temperature

2 Likes

You could be standing on a stairwell in stansted for 45 minutes depressed out of your mind, only wanting to get home, freezing your absolute bollix off

1 Like

Aer lingus also have the cuntish terminal thatā€™s nearly in meath, Iā€™ve got stung with that every time I go to Vienna or milan

Think I only ever had that Itsu once, in Gatwick (I havenā€™t flown into Stansted in a few years, thank Christ). A bucket of hot water and noodles. A grand change all the same.

And a bag slung over your shoulder breaking your back. I donā€™t miss it at all now that I think of it. Although a few nights in a country I could have a pint wouldnā€™t go astray