TFK International Business Travel Thread

Stayed in Canarf Wharf before and didn’t like it. Its lacking in soul and you’d be hard pressed to find a public house. At least with the IFSC there are some nice restaraunts, pubs and hotels. The isle of dogs/East End was traditionally a rough spot but they have regenerated the place a lot. The indigenous population would consist of young professionals and coke snorting ‘high flyers’ now as opposed to single mothers with jamacian partners and multicultural kids.

[quote=“chewy louie, post: 750433, member: 1137”]In the past two years or so I have visited the following places on Business trips, workshops and Knowledge Tranfer sessions. Brussels x5, Haasalt - Belgium, Breda, Budapest, Metz, Bologna, Johannesburg x3, including a 8 week spell, Campinas - Brazil. I would also have made half a dozen or trips to London but as I am based in the UK it wouldn’t be International travel but enjoyed them immensly.

I found Virgin Atlantic very disappointing and expected far far more. Surprisingly enough South African Airways had a far nicer Business Class set up despite being half the price. Iberia’s long haul is also terrible, plane must have been 20 years old and I will not be using them again. I will report on British Airways long haul once I return to the UK on Saturday.[/quote]

i fly only business class on lufthansa / star alliance if going from tel aviv to europe
Swiss air business class is superb and zurich is a fanstastic spot for a stopover, city center is 15mins from airport if you have a few hours to kill drinking champagne on the Amex card, etc.
if travelling to Japan ( yokohama) or korea i however would usually go thru Moscow, the complications of my dual citizenship and place of residence make flying to/from any of our neighbouring 22 states pretty difficult

[quote=“Fagan ODowd, post: 750429, member: 706”]It’s a shame that the budget couldn’t have stretched to a hotel room in the City, Bandage, but sure there you are. Bear in mind that you are in Tower Hamlets out there pal, and watch your back and your front, at all times. Go easy on the gargle tonight and keep your wits about you coming back to the hotel. The East End can be a nasty place.

Stay safe pal.[/quote]

My hotel choice was based on convenience rather than budget, Fagan. High flying international businessmen like myself usually combine several appointments in one particular visit and this trip is no different. Aside from dinner tonight, I have to pop into Soc Gen first thing in the morning to catch up with a couple of business chums before heading on to my main meeting - hence I gave my secretary strict parameters when it came to hotel booking. My reasoning being that I’d rather get a taxi back to the hotel tonight and be within walking distance of my first appointment in the morning - it ensures rush hour becomes an altogether more straightforward experience and allows me extra time at the breakfast buffet in the hotel. Happy to clarify matters for you.

No offence mate, but a high flying businessman wouldn’t be caught dead in Tower Hill. God help us, it’s probably the Grange. Just make sure you dodge the question at dinner tonight, when they ask you where you’re staying. It wouldn’t be nice if they were having a quiet snigger at you.

Sorry the other thing is that a high flying businessman has his breakfast served to him by a waitress while he reads the FT.

canary wharf is a bit of a dive ,
the IRA well and truly blew the shit out of the place, the area outside the tube station all looks as if it has been built in the last few years, pretty fucking soulless i must say.
was in london last year for the first weekend of wimbledon and on the friday afternoon we went out to meet a mate and his Mrs. in some bar adjacent to whatever institution he worked in.
I must say it was admirable the way these lads down a few jars at lunchtime and then head back to the office, anyway , he went back and we stayed with his Mrs. drinking wine to pass away the afternoon. I went to the bar to order a bottle and yer man asks me " how many straws do you want mate?"… me being a bit of a simpleton and half trolleyed anyway told him that we were ok with just the glasses and thanks anyway… he scoffed some comment at me as i was on my way back to the table bottle in hand, as was his right to do so

[quote=“mickee321, post: 750441, member: 367”]canary wharf is a bit of a dive ,
the IRA well and truly blew the shit out of the place, the area outside the tube station all looks as if it has been built in the last few years, pretty fucking soulless i must say.
was in london last year for the first weekend of wimbledon and on the friday afternoon we went out to meet a mate and his Mrs. in some bar adjacent to whatever institution he worked in.
I must say it was admirable the way these lads down a few jars at lunchtime and then head back to the office, anyway , he went back and we stayed with his Mrs. drinking wine to pass away the afternoon. I went to the bar to order a bottle and yer man asks me " how many straws do you want mate?"… me being a bit of a simpleton and half trolleyed anyway told him that we were ok with just the glasses and thanks anyway… he scoffed some comment at me as i was on my way back to the table bottle in hand, as was his right to do so[/quote]

What has surprised me about London is the amount of racism prevalent there.I was queuing to get into Ministry of sound one time and admittedly had had a lot to drink but wasn’t overly messy. After being refused I asked the bouncer ex British army soldier why I hadn’t gotten in.Anyway he replied to me “you’re Irish aren’t you” , " I have shot plenty of your kind in Northern Ireland in my time".He retreated like a coward fairly quickly after it.

Everywhere you go they request ID/Passport. They have the same paranoia and levels of hysteria as America when it comes to national security now.
London for me just lacks something.Paris and Barcelona would be ideal cities to work in, great quality of life.

Bazinga.

[quote=“Fagan ODowd, post: 750439, member: 706”]No offence mate, but a high flying businessman wouldn’t be caught dead in Tower Hill. God help us, it’s probably the Grange. Just make sure you dodge the question at dinner tonight, when they ask you where you’re staying. It wouldn’t be nice if they were having a quiet snigger at you.

Sorry the other thing is that a high flying businessman has his breakfast served to him by a waitress while he reads the FT.[/quote]

Fagan, your Ryanair custom unfortunately makes you poorly placed to comment on high flying businessman trends. Key skill sets which ensure I maintain my esteemed status in the industry are time management, organisation and adaptability and they’re all on show in my flight, hotel and booking scheduling. You’re seriously overstating the danger of the Tower Bridge area - not salubrious by any means but the dangers you refer to may have been more relevant 20 years ago.

The true hallmark of an international business man is taking these trips at short notice. My recent New York trip was booked a mere four days in advance. You’ve got to be flexible in the modern age.

+1. Booked my trip over here on the Wednesday evening and flew Sunday morning. I have often been on trips and have been asked to extend my trips and have always obliged. You would see some clowns making up excuses about having to go home because of their wife and kids:rolleyes:

Well Bandage wins hands down here. He doesn’t book his flights until his secretary gets the ok from the UK Met Office that morning.

Why would one want to go home to their wife and kids when they can dine on thirty ounce steaks, drink caipirinhas by the jug whilst getting serviced by a ten.

Finally you’re making a valid point. Booking would usually occur 2-4 days before the meeting though.

[quote=“chewy louie, post: 750433, member: 1137”]In the past two years or so I have visited the following places on Business trips, workshops and Knowledge Tranfer sessions. Brussels x5, Haasalt - Belgium, Breda, Budapest, Metz, Bologna, Johannesburg x3, including a 8 week spell, Campinas - Brazil. I would also have made half a dozen or trips to London but as I am based in the UK it wouldn’t be International travel but enjoyed them immensly.

I found Virgin Atlantic very disappointing and expected far far more. Surprisingly enough South African Airways had a far nicer Business Class set up despite being half the price. Iberia’s long haul is also terrible, plane must have been 20 years old and I will not be using them again. I will report on British Airways long haul once I return to the UK on Saturday.[/quote]

I agree Chewy. Iberia are fucking woeful.

I flew business class with South African Airways last year to Jo’burg and thought they were excellent-food was the nicest I’ve ever had in an airplane. Their Heathrow-Jo’burg flight is perfectly timed to get on the flight, have a few stiff G & T’s watching a movie, have a bite to eat and a xanex and wake up 6 hours later refreshed and nearly there.

Emirates is the best airline I’ve flown with. Superb service for the business traveller which includes a limo service to pick you up at your home and bring you to the airport. Excellent lounges also.

[quote=“mickee321, post: 750441, member: 367”]canary wharf is a bit of a dive ,
I must say it was admirable the way these lads down a few jars at lunchtime and then head back to the office, anyway , he went back and we stayed with his Mrs. drinking wine to pass away the afternoon. I went to the bar to order a bottle and yer man asks me " how many straws do you want mate?"… me being a bit of a simpleton and half trolleyed anyway told him that we were ok with just the glasses and thanks anyway… he scoffed some comment at me as i was on my way back to the table bottle in hand, as was his right to do so[/quote]
I used to wait for a start in canary wharfe in the very yard the bomb was planted in. Worked there labouring in the early nineties. The whole place was bankrupt. There were half built buildings all over. It still has that empty feel after hours. Soulless enough place.

British airways Premium Economy was more than adequate on a flight from Rio three years ago after a few weeks of drinking and hooring.

Luxembourg is a tricky place for a day trip for an Irish based executive. More often than not an overnight stay is required although the restaurants and hotels in the city are of a decent standard.

I went over and back to London with work yesterday, Cork - Stanstead - Cork. Will have to do it again in mid April. RyanAir are a necessary evil as where I’m going to is close enough to Stanstead. Long auld day so it was, playing catch up all day today

Go wan the fucking theLockes.

Callan were a shambles last year. I hope they’ve pulled up their socks a bit this year.