TFK International Business Travel Thread

[QUOTE=“croppy, post: 1014548, member: 230”]Making my debut on this thread and what a way to do it. I’m about to board the 6.50 red eye to Newcastle before making my way to Stockton on tees. A lot of financiers head to London to make their deals and I respect that but it is to the north east you must go to meet fellow industrialists.
Pretty big deal in the making. I didn’t get much sleep last night but I doubt my adversaries did either. In a few hours we will be locking horns on a number of fundamental issues, no quarter will be asked for or given. I am travelling light, the only thing I’m bringing is my A game. I will endeavour to keep the community updated, any advice appreciated.[/QUOTE]

this thread goes hand in glove with your trip - throw in some phrases from here to put yourself at ease

http://www.thefreekick.com/board/index.php?threads/annoying-office-jargon-part-iii.2511/page-30

If you are nervous there is no harm having a couple of pints before the meeting to steady the nerves

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 1014563, member: 332”]When it comes to price/fees/whatever don’t negotiate with yourself.

Things like “our fee is xxx but we are flexible” is the first step to defeat.[/QUOTE]
Thabks Julio
I take sweetener in my coffee as a weight control measure. If drinking coffee in the presence of these industrialists should I just go straight for regular sugar as sweetener could be seen as a sign of weakness? Or hold my own on the basis that it takes a real man to admit it.
I’m going to unsettle them with a comment about sterlings volatility in the face of the Scottish referendum being a worry, perhaps by commenting on the euros I changed. This should unsettle them, taking lectures from paddy on fiscal prudence. Then I strike.

[QUOTE=“croppy, post: 1014587, member: 230”]Thabks Julio
I take sweetener in my coffee as a weight control measure. If drinking coffee in the presence of these industrialists should I just go straight for regular sugar as sweetener could be seen as a sign of weakness? Or hold my own on the basis that it takes a real man to admit it.
I’m going to unsettle them with a comment about sterlings volatility in the face of the Scottish referendum being a worry, perhaps by commenting on the euros I changed. This should unsettle them, taking lectures from paddy on fiscal prudence. Then I strike.[/QUOTE]

@croppy, do you pass The Angel of the North on your travels or is that in another direction?

I’m going to unsettle them with a comment about sterlings volatility in the face of the Scottish referendum being a worry, perhaps by commenting on the euros I changed. This should unsettle them, taking lectures from paddy on fiscal prudence. Then I strike.[/QUOTE]

Have your coffee before you get there, decline their offer of coffee and say this meeting should be stimulating enough, a glass of water will be fine.
They should feel forced to decline now as well. They’ll have been holding off taking a coffee in advance of your meeting and now they are already at a disadvantage as the lack of hit from the expected caffeine upsets their regular train of thought.

Then hit them with something like; interesting times over here, a Scotland exit would prove very challenging to your company I’d imagine, what with you being in close proximity to what will likely be a country with a lower cost base. Are you worried?
They are on the back foot now defending themselves before negotiations have even began.

They’ll be begging for mercy.

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 1014596, member: 332”]Have your coffee before you get there, decline their offer of coffee and say this meeting should be stimulating enough, a glass of water will be fine.
They should feel forced to decline now as well. They’ll have been holding off taking a coffee in advance of your meeting and now they are already at a disadvantage as the lack of hit from the expected caffeine upsets their regular train of thought.

Then hit them with something like; interesting times over here, a Scotland exit would prove very challenging to your company I’d imagine, what with you being in close proximity to what will likely be a country with a lower cost base. Are you worried?
They are on the back foot now defending themselves before negotiations have even began.

They’ll be begging for mercy.[/QUOTE]
:clap:

[QUOTE=“Julio Geordio, post: 1014596, member: 332”]Have your coffee before you get there, decline their offer of coffee and say this meeting should be stimulating enough, a glass of water will be fine.

They’ll be begging for mercy.[/QUOTE]
Great advice.
I am en route via Northern rail from newcastle. I can’t prove it but I feel they are watching me since the airport, looking for a sign of weakness. I have made a few phone calls on the train and spoken in commanding, confident tones to my people. If listening they will know I haven’t come here to look at the angel of the north, in here to clinch a deal and do it on my terms. Fuck your coffee and your sweetener, let’s get this done! Super pumped.

Ask them are they enjoying the Gah on Sky, they won’t have a fucking clue what your on about, when you try explain its an Irish sport blah blah they’ll get bored and just assume your a thick paddy roaster. Their guards will come down and they’ll adopt a cavalier approach to the negotiations. All over red rover…

When they offer tea or coffee he should ask for a portion of Curry Sauce and some buttered marietta biscuits

[QUOTE=“croppy, post: 1014548, member: 230”]Making my debut on this thread and what a way to do it. I’m about to board the 6.50 red eye to Newcastle before making my way to Stockton on tees. A lot of financiers head to London to make their deals and I respect that but it is to the north east you must go to meet fellow industrialists.
Pretty big deal in the making. I didn’t get much sleep last night but I doubt my adversaries did either. In a few hours we will be locking horns on a number of fundamental issues, no quarter will be asked for or given. I am travelling light, the only thing I’m bringing is my A game. I will endeavour to keep the community updated, any advice appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Main Street gotta earn money too bro.

Don’t know Bart. With respect can I suggest you go ask a tourist? I don’t ask you about the Ferris wheel every time you go over to London to clinch a big one. I’m here to get a job done, a major deal in fact.
Just had a bacon sarnie in the hotel. Pretended to read the financial times in case anyone was watching .

[QUOTE=“croppy, post: 1014613, member: 230”]Don’t know Bart. With respect can I suggest you go ask a tourist? I don’t ask you about the Ferris wheel every time you go over to London to clinch a big one. I’m here to get a job done, a major deal in fact.
Just had a bacon sarnie in the hotel. Pretended to read the financial times in case anyone was watching .[/QUOTE]

A true international businessman wouldn’t need to pretend to read it.

WTF?
you disgusting prick
a ryanair flight to fucking newcastle and then a bus to some place no one has heard of?
this is international buisness, it’s not fucking joe’s garage

@Joe Player /admins, please issue an infraction against this hopeless mess of a poster

[QUOTE=“mickee321, post: 1014673, member: 367”]WTF?
you disgusting prick
a ryanair flight to fucking newcastle and then a bus to some place no one has heard of?
this is international buisness, it’s not fucking joe’s garage

@Joe Player /admins, please issue an infraction against this hopeless mess of a poster[/QUOTE]
The Stobart air red eye mate. Not Ryanair.
Then great northern rail mate not a bus. Fine rail infrastructure here. Important for any businessman to learn the logistical challenges and infrastructure his adversaries have.
Sometimes the hardest European away fixtures are not the glamour ties. If I can grind out a result in Stockton the Tarmac at Collinstown airfield tomorrow evening will be packed with my colleagues welcoming home the victor.

A red-eye flight is any flight departing late at night and arriving early the next morning.

so in @croppy 's case the plane to newcastle must have been travelling at around 20kms/ hour

You clown.

The count has exposed himself here, exposed himself badly.

A red-eye flight is any flight departing late at night and arriving early the next morning.

This is stupidity on a grand scale from @count of monte cristo.

You just don’t get it, sport