TFK's Far Right - Watch thread (no spongers allowed)

Sound And Vision Vintage GIF by Beeld en Geluid

Direct provision hasnt ended?

It is in the Programme for Government to end it by the end of this year

It is. But i don’t believe @glasagusban is correct here

With respect to the department. They must be under severe pressure and with hundreds in tents they must have been desperate to get them in anywhere. Our policies/department were largely in place since before the Russian invasion so I’m not sure we’ve restructured or revisited anything since then? … The Taoiseach saying we’re going to outsource our asylum to other countries is an admission that the department is defeated and can’t cope with it’s current structures. Something like 16 businesses made over 600m in the meantime…

A restructuring, restaffing and new policies on top of some new asylum centres would be great… But with a potential GE coming up, none of it may happen any time soon.

A 2000 bed asylum centre next to the Obama plaza would be great.

Was it not in the programme to end last year or a couple of years back?

Ending Direct Provision is in the programme for government. (Another win for the green party cc @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy). It obviously doesn’t happen overnight and we’ve had an auld pandemic and Russia’s war on Ukraine in the meantime, but the decision is made.

Not what you said.

@glasagusban
You said Arthur was completely wrong and that this had been decided a while back and then used direct provision as the reason you were correct.

Was there a decision to end direct provision?

There was. A lovely thought. But thats not what @glasagusban was arguing with Arthur about. He was saying that the government had decided to build mass permanent accomodation centres for the people in direct provision. If they had done, they would have been providing accomodation directly to them, a sort of direct provision if you will. There is an easily accessible document on the green party website called the White Paper on Direct Provision (bit racist?). It outlines all the preferred options and suggestions. They talk about providing in the community, renting with hosts, getting housing associations etc involved. Cluid, mcverry et al. It was also suggested responsibility would be given to the councils to find accomodation within the community. They very last thing mentioned is about directly building.
@glasagusban’s interaction with @arthur irked me because he was so wrong while being aggressively assertive.

1 Like

It was supposed to be done already but they moved it out

Be the hokey

1 Like

Here’s what I disagreed with:

The decision to end direct provision was made in 2020. It’s in the programme for government. The report of the expert group that was appointed is referenced in it.

We’re four years on from the decision to end direct provision. To suggest they’d have kept at it if no one was protesting or that it’s policy making on the hoof is wrong. It’s a four year old policy decision.

Yea he landed me back on my hole with his confident declaration. Would there be some truth in what I was saying do you think?

I was more referring to the current whack a mole strategy of finding a hotel owned by a Banty type who’s mad for handy money and just sticking everyone in there before moving on to the next town with no plan or provision of services. Is that direct provision? It seems to be going on a good few years now and no sign of stopping. I then heard a bit on the radio suggesting there was a new plan and it sounded to me like they were reacting to all the recent controversy in typical reactive fashion

Direct provision was the system we had to house asylum seekers for years in private run centres where they had shit accommodation and food. It was purposely designed to make it unattractive to come to Ireland to seek asylum. Anyway it was a disgrace and the decision to end it was made in 2020.

As part of that decision they appointed an expert group who would produce a report on how to go about ending it. That report is also referenced in the programme for government. That report recommended building reception and integration centres, six of them I think.

This government is fairly shit and slow at building anything at the best of times but also we had the pandemic so nothing got started.

Then we suddenly had the 80 or 100k extra refugees from Ukraine. So now it’s an emergency situation and we have to use whatever we have on hand (which is the system we were supposed to be ending) plus any other building that can be got to put a roof over people’s heads.

So the policy decisions were made ages ago but currently it’s an emergency and firefighting situation and there’s little enough can be done differently about that. They should have started building the reception centres a good while back, but it’s not a new policy.

I’ll await my apology from @Juhniallio.

Here’s what you said. Doesnt make sense unless you’re referring to his earlier part about building accomodation centres.

But do you think all the recent hoo ha might have put a bomb under them a bit with regard to building the new centres?

Building accommodation centres was a 2021 policy decision following the decision to end direct provision.