TFK's Far Right - Watch thread (no spongers allowed)

I’m afraid you’ve reached this week’s quota for bot interactions

Fuck off with your activism.

2 Likes

:grinning:

I’m afraid you’ve reached this week’s quota for bot interactions

And what about people who call cars and boats “she”!

Cars have exhaust pipes, which are a sort of automotive penis.

Ships have funnels, which are similar.

Steam engines, which have funnels, were routinely referred to in the feminine form, at least before the advent of Thomas The Tank Engine and Friends.

I’ve even heard of the Poolbeg chimneys being referred to as “the two sisters”.

So the association between femininity and phallic objects is a long one, if you’ll pardon the pun.

1 Like

I’m afraid you’ve reached this week’s quota for Mac interactions

14 Likes

:grinning: :grinning:

I await the “it’s not fascist because they were only tearing up the books, not burning them” takes.

I have zero interest in getting involved in these trans/woke/whatever debates. They bear the same relationship to tedium as Mayo do to All Ireland Finals. Paul Murphy and his partner are obviously entitled, within extremely broad parameters, to parent in whatever way they deem fit. This right is paramount – especially to ‘traditionalists’, no? Same time, I think that Irish Times article was crass. Then again, I have long thought PM all but a moron.

But your comment on use of ‘it’ in a tig game is where you sometimes go wrong. You homogenize. Here, you are eliding use of ‘it’ as a pronoun (instead of ‘he’ or ‘she’) with use of ‘it’ as a noun (synonym for ‘person elected’). There is a significant tonal difference in the two usages – and therefore a significant semantic difference. You are making an equivalence where no equivalence exists. The mistake spins off the word ‘it’ taking the same form across various usages, such as being the subject or the object of a verb. ‘It’ can also be an attributive adjective (‘the it girl of her day’) and a predicative adjective (‘Brad Pitt is it in Thelma and Louise’). The whole analytical point, nearly always, is surely to make distinctions, not to collapse distinctions.

I greatly enjoyed the Van Morrison/Them joke. Therein lies your writing ability. If you were writing an article on this topic, you should start with that joke. Would unsettle an audience expecting earnestness. And raise a chuckle about Mr Ivan’s anti vaccine maunderings.

I’m surprised I have to note this but the “you’re it” thing was a self-consciously absurd and I would have thought fairly obvious joke, rather than a serious point.

Though at the same time as being a joke…

No. I think you have a strong tendency at times to homogenize and make everything equivalent to everything else. Your point about tig was that PM should be allowed to use ‘it’ because ‘it’ is routinely used in a children’s game. I think that claim, analytically, is a category error founded on a misunderstanding of homonyms’ role.

PM can use ‘it’ because he is the infant’s parent and has a Constitutional right on that basis.

But keep the ultra sharp jokes coming.

1 Like

I can’t click on you ignore you because you’ve decided to hide your user profile, probably because you’re a fanny.

Morto for you that you cant figure this very simple task out. Telpis.

2 Likes

The fact he’d even think to use his child’s birth for anything other than familial joy tells me all I need of the guy.

First role of a father is to protect. He’s reduced his kid to a piece of PR.

14 Likes

Have we had this yet? Made up non national assault

1 Like