That's it ! everybody in RTE should be executed forthwith

Another one who escaped. God bless her for it

1 Like

I’ve no idea. She wasn’t here when I got here.

You’re coming into your own lately, mate. I think this will be a good TFK decade for you.

2 Likes

You mean @Frilly_Keane

1 Like

I went on holidays only once as a kid. We went to Glenbeigh with 4 other families. Only the mams and the kids went. 2 houses 2 families to each house. I’d say I was about 8 or 9.

The other family had two teenage sons about 15 and 16. Of course they fucked off out to the pub and came home steaming one of the nights and there was holy murder. The next morning anyway the two buckos got up steaming still and poured out two bowls of cornflakes and instead of milk filled the bowls with the half a bottle of pedrotti that the mams hadn’t finished the night before

Breakfast eaten they decided they would bring myself and the brother out with them to climb the “mountain” in Glenbeigh. They were steaming still.

We climbed it anyway and on the way down we kind of started running down the path and we were fucking lifting by the time we got to the bottom… But the bottom was about 12 feet over the road… They stayed shouting anyway don’t stop we will all jump wel make it over the road…

Of course only one fucking dickhead jumped… I ended up in a heap in the middle of the road with cars everywhere at about 10am on a sunny summer morning right next to the entrance to rossbeigh beach. As close as Iv ever come to getting killed

One of the teenagers owns a boozer now that I’d call to the odd time. Every time I’d call in hed stand me a drink and tell anyone who would listen the story and that I was the bravest child he ever met… Little did he know I pissed in the bed for years with nightmares the fright I got

25 Likes

There is a gay man from clondalkin on it this year. He was being bullied in school so to help him cope his mam joined him into the majorettes :thinking:

2 Likes

Great article what I would like rte to do is:

Stop buying shit TV from abroad. A point well made in the article. Especially filler stuff on the telly that’s on Netflix

Stop re running the same blockbusters from years gone by

Top ‘talent’ wages. The money some of these COTY candidates are getting is scandaless

Use money from the above to invest in new programs. Some will fail and be shit but we need to give new irish talent a chance to fail and push creative boundaries. Anything successful can be flogged abroad or Netflix etc

Put all rte archive content onto the player.

More regional focus

Sell the D4 studio and relocate somewhere else in Dublin. The land must be worth a fortune

Have a dedicated sports channel with archive old matches during the week but also show more local sports and other sports in ireland outside of soccer rugby and gaa.

Have a more balanced reporting on current affairs. Very evident between GE2020 and covid

Have a subscription service for the player for people abroad

Bring back dunphy Giles and Brady

Rte does have a place but its not fit for purpose. Some highlights of good programs in the last year for me were the famine, bloody sunday and christy ring documentries. Not sure if rte produced them or bought them but they were magnificent

10 Likes

Now that he has the FAE out of the way he can properly focus on his posting here.

1 Like

I’d like to think you’re making that up.

I’m not

1 Like

RTE have been doing this since day one. Why? Cos it’s cheap.

Back in the day it was something like £30 to buy an hour of American TV (they were getting stuff that was 5 years + old). It would cost RTÉ £300 to produce an hour of TV. The BBC had a budget of £3000 per hour.

The figures have changed but the principles remain the same.

In all honesty, the only way RTÉ could rid of their debt would be by scaling down to one TV station and one radio station

The selling the land card has been played already. They sold a vast tract of unbuilt on land with access to Ailesbury Road addresses a couple of years ago. The remaining lands which contain all of the buildings and so would be much more expensive to develop are not nearly as attractive.

2 Likes

You could easily make money on the demo job by letting lads pay to take a kango or a machine to RTE and take chunks out of it

You could start the Kango on Des Cahill’s fucking head.

1 Like

Is that channel on satellite still going? The one that did features about what was going on around the country. Was it Ireland TV or something like that?

Irish TV, tbink it went to the wall. Tough station working like that I’d say.

There is nothing in that article that hasn’t been said before re RTE . The model of PS broadcasting is probably broke and needs a real review.

Ironically around 25 years ago, RTE used to get the popular US shows like Friends ahead of the UK. TG4 was a pioneer too, screening the likes of Oz and The Wire at God awful hours back when those shows only had a small cult following.

Oz was a great show

Tough, tough show

1 Like