The 32nd Dáil Eireann

Death by a thousand cuts.

Who will you be voting for in the next Gen Election?

Fuck knows. The options in Limerick city are depressing.
Noonan gone next time, and I wonder will O’Dea stand again, he’s pushing on at this stage. Hopefully open the door for some interesting new blood. The AAA/PBP lad locally is very prominent I’d fancy him to give it a good lash, not that I’d ever vote for him.
Country is crying out for a new centre/left party, it’s a pity they made a hames of the Social Democrats.

That’s for FF to decide. Might be great timing for them. FG have taken a hammering and more importantly SF havent selected their new leader yet, major advantage.

I heartily disagree. The way mccabe has been treated is dark, sinister, corrupt and utterly appalling enough to beggar belief. The man was smeared as a paedophile for ffs sake. The highest level of state bodies, state appointed figures and government officials look to be enmeshed in this.
If this doesn’t topple a government, and result in prison sentences, then something is badly wrong.

8 Likes

Not great timing for the country though - an appalling time for an election with a potentially massive EU summit on the way which will have huge implications for the country. The ramp up of anti-Irish sentiment in the British press over the last 10 days is no coincidence.

But sure as long as FF are suited …

1 Like

Just wait until Sinn Fein are in power for Christmas.

2 Likes

Ha! Sure the British press are already suggesting that Leo is acting on SF’s behalf, showing a stunning insight into FG/SF relations.

I think there is pretty broad support across the parties for the way that the gov, or more probably the Dept of foreign affairs, are handling the whole thing.

We’re weakening ourselves at the worst time though imho. To suggest that there has been some huge insight into the whole McCabe affair in the last week is nonsense.

Hopefully Ferris can be persuaded to run again and get’s the minister for justice portfolio. He knows the system inside out.

It’s very opportunistic, but highlights the complete dysfunction in the Justice Department. Kelly & Co obviously knew the email existed from the outset but FG managed to somehow turn the molehill into a mountain with their terrible handling of the situation.

1 Like

Has the email in any way changed your view of the scandal.

I don’t disagree that it has been shocking - and in my opinion the politicians culpability is only the tip of the iceberg - how many civil servants, guards or Tusla workers have lost their jobs over it?

1 Like

I do agree with that. The Dept of Justice seems to need as much reform as the AGS. Civil servants don’t do reform in this country though, they just get a new minister and know that time protects them.

What about the heads of the department t of justice?

If this was the mainland she would have resigned already.

1 Like

It changes nothing about the scandal, it relates only to Fitzgerald.

Cough cough.

Cough,cough, cough, cough, cough

Leo has handled this crisis terribly though, he should have axed Fitzgerald as soon as her position became untenable. It shows an acute lack of political nous on his behalf IMO that he has allowed this matter to mushroom.

FG are in a very precarious position, FF only need to flip a handful of seats to become the biggest party. People like Noel Rock, Kate O’Connell, Catherine Byrne etc will be sweating over the outcome of this. FG are perceived to be arrogant and aloof by a lot of the electorate and this crisis and subsequent election is entirely of their making no matter how much they try and deflect.

Where is Varadkar? Keeping a very low profile, not like him to dodge a microphone.

Coveney has been out fighting fires impressively like on Morning Ireland earlier, he’d have made a much better Taoiseach than Varadkar even though he’s not the D4 media darling like Leo is.

If an election is called and FG not returned, will Leo’s term as Taoiseach be the shortest ever?

And been back again before Christmas .