The Accents Thread

Blindboy’s popularity ensured aspiring middle class parents in Limerick did their best to ensure the kids didn’t develop a Limerick accent.

1 Like

if you said it was Tuesday I’d check my calendar

Accents continuously evolve.

Evolve or die.

2 Likes

we have similar youtube algorithms :smiley:

I know but that’s because one of us is a duplicate account of the other.

Damian Lawlor had a wonderful cameo on Sunday sport t’other day, proclaiming that an addition to the Tipp footballers, fresh out of minor was the new Clifford…

He has wan wan on the board after 10 minutes Jacqui…

1 Like

Hiberno vocal language is different

1 Like

My niece (9) who lives in Blackrock with a Cork/Tipp parentage has a strong mid-atlantic accent. Not her fault, all the kids talk like that. Her Nenagh mother wants to be known as Mammy but she refuses to call her anything else but Maawm like the american kids :joy:

Old Dutch and old English were almost one and the same.

my little one has a fairly strong east cork accent and neither of us are from here

1 Like

If ever you wanted your kid to develop a mid Atlantic accent, it’s when the alternative is Cork.

2 Likes

East Cork is different, lad

How do you know?

I suppose I dont know for certain … on paper it was almost identical anyway and they share the same genealogy. After a google of something or other a few weeks back I ended up falling down an e-rabbit hole for 5 hours reading about the etymology of Frisian/Frank/Germanic languages

2 Likes

No you don’t know. It’s just idle speculation

1 Like

Does she be with the gang at school? Oh lad!

1 Like

You’ve too much time on your hands.

Fellas from the City will never lose their accent because they are around so many people with it, rural and isolated lads who’s only company is the telly and the weird lad from down the road will get the generic D4/Mid Atlantic yoke, same for impressionable lads from towns

I think the opposite of that is true. People from affluent backgrounds in cities/towns/suburbs are most likely to not have a local accent I’d say. I train young lads and they all sound as rural as we ever did

there aren’t many from affluent backgrounds in the cities and suburbs fella. Mayfield, Southill, Ballymun etc, these City accents will never go away