The advanced gardening thread

I’m afraid you’ve reached this week’s quota for bot interactions

You proposed using facial recognition software, drones and machine gun turrets on people. But when it comes to badgers you suggest lavender and marigolds.
You’ll take some watching

4 Likes

I’m afraid you’ve reached this week’s quota for bot interactions

The mother sent me a picture of our chestnut tree in full blossom this evening

12 Likes

Irish gardener scoops gold at Chelsea Flower show

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0523/1385143-chelsea-flower-show/

I lowered the blade on mine yesterday from maybe the highest setting (7) to a five a bit as it is absolutely shooting up at the moment and could cut it twice a week at least if I had the time. If I had done “No Mow May” I would be bringing in a lad with McHale baler to do the job for me on the first of June.

@mikehunt I just tried the Iron Sulphate in a section and it made no discernable difference. There seems to be yellow grass matted in underneath the green which is a bit worrying as the lawn is down just about a year now. I put out this “Supersoil” natural fertiliser then about a month ago which has it growing like mad but hasn’t made any real difference to the colour of the grass.

2 Likes

Magic beans?

2 Likes

It didn’t kill it anyway. It was given to me by the auld lad who I’m pretty sure was just pawning it off as he couldn’t have been arsed with it. I hear it’s being pushed by Teagasc now?

That matted grass is thatch. Stops light, rain and air getting to the soil and the grass suffers heavily as a result.

Get a tow-behind rake or scarifier and pull it out. Makes a massive difference.

5 Likes

Depending on how much there is of it he’d nearly tear it out of it with a decent raking. A good deep sinking of the graipe (fork for you guys) will aerate it and give it a chance to thrive. Fertiliser and whatnot aren’t going to kick in until he rids it of the thatch. A solid half-hour of effort will rid him of the problem.
As ever, a little effort pays dividends.

3 Likes
10 Likes

Thou shalt not pass.

4 Likes

That’s a trident :trident:

2 Likes

Settle a gripe with a graipe

1 Like

Is it a silage trident or a dung trident?

Poseidon was a great man to tidy around the pit

6 Likes

As was Neptune

2 Likes

Handy on the buckrake supposedly

Unreal spurt of growth in the grass.

I’ve just finished cutting mine,2nd time since Monday

1 Like