The Anti Rugby Football Thread Pt 2

If they put the 6N behind a paywall it would be an awful day for rugby .

2 Likes

Iā€™d imagine the strategy is donā€™t get sacked.

Canā€™t see any other end game with the rights purchase. Shameful

With the new ppv telly deal, the Welch are getting Ā£52 million.

It has certainly taken away hugely from the lustre of the Heineken cup even if some of the games have not returned to FTA TV.

I think it was lapsed poster Sidney who had a great post about the Munster team of the early 2000s who really brought the Heineken Cup alive on this island and to the masses and their demise coupled with the move to behind the paywall was a bug blow for the competition and its popularity in Ireland with the casual fan.

The six nations really benefits from its position in the sporting calendar in winter/early spring and saturday afternoon and evenings when there is little other live sport to contend with aside from horse racing for the casual fan to watch - if it goes behind the paywall it will certainly lose that unique selling point.

9 Likes

To be honest the provinces are rarely on terrestrial tv these days , there is a growing distance between the pro game and grass roots . Interest is waning hugely .

The people who run the game really need to think this through

2 Likes

I think the deal is done. They are short term idiots.

3 Likes

The interest in that Munster-Leinster Heineken Cup semi-final in 2006 was huge. It felt like a monumental game. There was a sparse crowd at the National League final between Kerry and Galway in Limerick the same day.

Of course that was also the final year that RTE showed live Heineken Cup rugby before losing the rights to Sky Sports.

1 Like

One of the few casual fans that can spot this. Speak about it publicly and youā€™ll be vilified by not supporting team of us or the 4 proud provinces

3 Likes

Walse outside the national team are in massive debt and running a loss. The club game has been destroyed and we are heading that way

1 Like

Was that in Landsdowne Road?
I went to that I think.

1 Like

Iv said it here before but Blade, the scrumhalf with Connacht, is a great example of the stupidity of bringing in lads from abroad to play for Ireland. Comes from a small rural club, went to school in Athenry, plays for Connacht. Bringing him into the Irish setup would be a real boost to the game in the area, instead they select a lad from NZ who isnā€™t even a starter for Leinster. Iā€™m told Blade has made up his mind and is away to try and make a few extra quid as soon as his contract is up next summer, he is dead right too.

9 Likes

A Kerry v Galway NFL final wouldnā€™t fill Ennis tbh , now or back them .

Remember a Kerry v Derry NFL final once couldnā€™t fill Parnell a decade or so back

Excellent post

Iā€™d take the European Cup and pro 14 back on terrestrial and lose the 6n if it was a straight trade.

French TV has the league on FTA as far as I knowā€¦

1 Like

Blade is a dinger. He is far better than Gibson Park side from the nationality issue

4 Likes

The deal was for ā‚¬450 million over four years, itā€™s not like for like

Rugby felt more important when it was Hook and Pope in their pomp compared to Joe Molloy and ā€˜Mittieā€™ Williams.

2 Likes

Which deal are you talking aboutā€¦ I was just making a general observation about the top 14

The Canal+ deal for the ā€œtop quatorzeā€ or whatever Gerry Thornley calls it. Hard compete with that