The Anti Rugby Football Thread Pt 2

Just stop digging ridiculous

Always struck me as a very intelligent player when it came to reading the game. I can see him pissing this.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/united-rugby-championship/2022/0601/1302438-sean-obrien-replaces-leamy-on-leinster-coaching-team/?fbclid=IwAR069jV98YBHmPPpo_pnhgpsS1bgmoRjgDZhpoo_e3tSHUnnUralBy1kKQ0

1 Like

Iā€™d agree with him there. He never seems to be prominent in a losing team. Doesnā€™t seem the guy to come up with the big moments or show leadership in the way Oā€™Mahony -who you donā€™t rate- does. I think Coombes will overtake him soon, coming in at 6 with Doris at 8.

Nah thatā€™s when coaching kids. Lowe and Sexton need to be identifying these things if it is so obvious even someone at home on their couch can spot it, not needing steering from the stands. Suggesting itā€™s harder to spot these things when the game is tense - itā€™s when the pressure is on the big players come into their own and execute, and lesser players bottle it.

I always think great players are formed when they have to carry a team on their back. Having the vast majority of Irelands talent concentrated in one province means they rarely have to do that, and so when they really need to step up on the biggest occasions they struggle to do it.

8 Likes

Iā€™m sorry but thatā€™s rubbish. The coaches should have it spotted if the players Donā€™t.

Lads on here seem to think the Leinster management just sit in the stands for the sake of it watching the game while point to excellent tactical decisions by o gara.

There is an odd reluctance to criticise for having no idea what to do repeatedly when under pressure.

The players should know what to doā€¦ I guess it was all the La Rochelle players coming up with the tactics and not rogā€¦

I wouldnā€™t think you played much sport in your time. Maybe Cullen told Sexton to do it and Sexton didnā€™t feel it was on, or should Cullen just have told him to do it regardless of whether it was on or not? Thatā€™s schoolboy coaching, itā€™s not what happens at top end sport.

1 Like

Of course that what happens at top end sport. Thatā€™s exactly why theyā€™ve extensive management teams including forwards, backs, and skills coaches among many others.

Leinster have any number of videos analyses as well.

Weā€™ve regularly seen Ireland use cross field kicks.

It was evident at every stoppage Leinster had water carriers passing info onto the players.

That loss was on cullen. Itā€™s the fourth time in a row theyā€™ve lost games theyā€™ve been expected to win and he never had an answer.

Could Doake wind up at 10? Heā€™s a massive running threat.

Doake at 10 partnered by Gibson Park or Casey would be very exciting.

Dont know why Ulster havent let him have a cut at it as Burns is only a dinky player and Doakeā€™s kicking is exceptional.

An astute observation

1 Like

Great shout, I would say that if you look at the performances, Irelandā€™s strongest player mentally is Henshaw; Lions/World Cup, when chips were down he came up eith big moments.

1 Like

Great point.

Thatā€™s a good point actually. The best Leinster players of the last generation came through lean times before they had success too.

None of these players are really great though bar furlong. Sexton is past it as well.

Leinster have thirty players who good and some very good but genuine world class players whoā€™d walk in to any team on the planet are thin on the ground.

I think from an Ireland point of view things couldnā€™t be better with Munster getting a very good coaching ticket in place.

That will be massive for Andy Farrell as youā€™ll see Thomas ahern, Coombes, Alex kendellen, and Craig Casey improve significantly.

The big thing for Farrell is he needs Munster/ Leinster to give as much time to younger half backs. Murray/sexton wonā€™t do at the next World Cup. We need Craig Casey, harry Byrne and jack Crowley to get as much game time next season and see how they go.

You have three good centres and youā€™ve a lot of outside backs. Earls/Conway are pushing on. O brien/Lowe are good and baloucoune is very different as well A long with Hansen.

I think the front will be fine. Josh Wycherley is a good player and I think heā€™ll go to NZ but heā€™s light. Kelleher/sheahan should only improve and porter / furlong are solid out.

If we can develop new half backs weā€™ll have a right good 23 come the World Cup.

1 Like

Iā€™d agree with that. Iā€™d say la rochelle have none barring maybe a fit Skelton or Aldritt at a push. But that is being generous

He thinks thereā€™s only two teams in Ireland. Oh and that you should hand the lead to your opponent with six minutes left. Itā€™s like debating Ulster football with the late great.

No I donā€™t but Munster were by far the worst coaches province and getting the least out of their players.

That will change next year and is massive for Ireland.

It might be too complex for you to understand.

Unfortunately hard to see munster winning any silverware with the stock of front rows they have currently