The Anti Rugby Football Thread Pt 2

“I felt bad so I smacked her, then I felt worse.”

Didn’t know Burgess was up for that till I read it here.

1 Like

Her father was really really upset by it. He sounded a decent man trying to protect his daughter.

2 Likes

I saw an interview on Sky a few years ago with the entire family. They were in Oz and looked so happy.

Her dad was brave. SB was a thug.
I think she’s an Aussie.

1 Like

He is the head coach of Warrington.

A massive coke head and his behaviour was far from the worst in NRL circles so they forgot about it quickly enough.

It was pretty bad. Warrington is a private company so there’s not much can be done, but he shouldn’t be on a national broadcaster. It wasn’t a once off, it was prolonged sinister and nasty behaviour.

Sure he was on Fox Sports in Australia and then employed by the Rabbitohs.

He ended up getting fired by the Rabbitohs before the end of the year because he was a nightmare behind the scenes. Seems to be a bit of a Roy Keane crossed with a Coke head.

He played the victim post 2025 RWC but I think there was more to it.

1 Like

He was binned by one of the broadcasters when he was found guilty of intimidating the dad.
I wouldn’t mind but he’s a poor pundit. Brian Carney is pretty good, and the other lad whose name escapes me was much better.

Fox brought him back for appearances.

They can’t blacklist many NRL stars from tv as there wouldn’t be many of them left to go on tv otherwise.

Night games is a brilliant book about the underbelly of Ozzie sport. I’d say Sam burgess wouldn’t make a top 20 on the scumbag list

3 Likes

You mean 2015? They seemed to blame him for the loss to Wales but England were leading when Burgess was taken off.

There not called the convicts for no reason

That was one of the great RUGBY UNION TEST MATCHES.

That’s a version that Burgess spins.

That’s not the full narrative around England at the time.

Most of the criticism went to Lancaster and Farrell. Burgess was one part of that as rightfully many felt he was parachuted in and others were dumped.

Burgess played the victim because some in the squad didn’t like him. He tried to pin that on a league v Union thing but it was actually the Fords (father and son) and Owen from league backgrounds that didn’t like him.

2 Likes

I’d be a Farrell fan, but his decisions not to take points at crucial stages cost them that game iirc.

Very interesting, I think the Fords would have also been at Bath back then.

Farrell aand Ford best pals weren’t they. Eddie had great success with them as a 10/12 combo straight after and Burgess at 12 might have been viewed by them as the turd in the punchbowl, notwithstanding they also just didn’t like him.

1 Like

SBW does it

Yeah he hates Mike and George

1 Like

Seems to be on both rugby and NRL coverage for Nine. His background stuff is fairly tame (got in a toilet with a woman on mad Monday).

James Graham is a good English bloke down there doing well in the media. He has a good podcast on YouTube.