The Anti Rugby Football Thread Pt 2

Was 12s I’m sure

Let’s hope it does have the same aftermath as when you were drinking pints with Davy Burke

1 Like

Ah shite thought it was 20 plus. Opportunity missed

This cork LĂĄ Rochelle thing is already sickening and would nearly have you cheering on Leinster rugby

This La Rochelle v Leinster build up is tremendous fun. I don’t really have time but you’d could melt Leinster supporters on twitter so easily.

I suspect La Rochelle are running on empty but it’s still hilarious to listen to ex players talk about the will Skelton v Leinster rivalry. Despite Skelton coming out on top about five times.

I hear ringrose is out too.

Be a very interesting game.

My man on the ground in Gleesons of Booterstown the other night said that ROG and La Rochelle were the only show in town.

He’s in their heads big time.

The pressure on Leo and these Leinster lads is insane. Its win or go home.

Coach Leo is the best in the business. His CV shows thus. How he isnt ever in the frame for the Irish job is a clear insult to him and the Leinster organisation. Saying that, perhaps Leinster are rigging the thing from the inside of the IRFU to hold onto one of the top top top coaches.

It’s what you want really - massive games between top teams where it’s all on the line. It’s great.

Yep it’s great fun in fairness. I’m looking forward to this one.

1 Like

I wouldn’t know enough about it but the failure to get that fifth star on the shirt this year wont go down well around South Dublin.

I think Jacko Nienbarr is holding his hand in any case like Stuey did for years beforehand.

La Rochelle at 3/1 is a cracking price

2 Likes

Leo Cullen is a little like Gareth Southgate. The role he should be in next is the David Humphrey’s one.

He gets an easy ride imo off the Irish media. Even two European cups in this six year period is light enough given they’ve gone into three finals as heavy favourites.

1 Like

Jaysus imagine the accusations of pro Leinster bias that would be coming out of you if Leo Cullen was in the Humphreys role!

At first thought I’d agree with you it seems like the perfect fit. But Cullen is too used to the Leinster system of private schools producing players so I don’t think he’s the man to lead player development reform for the other provinces.

I call it as I see it.

Nodding my head in agreement. For the talent Leinster had and even their ability to rest top talent for the big occasions in Europe he’s been an absolute disappointment but seems to have friends in all the right media places. As I said since he lost to Connacht in the 2016 Pro12 final: it was all Lancaster that drove them on during Leopold’s tenure. They’re not the same force since “Stuey Tuesdays” have been removed from the weekly diary.

I think the jury is still out on that to be honest. Leinster in recent years have shot the lights out apart from the 2 or 3 games that actually define their season. No upside in that. Maybe this year they’re taking a more measured approach. The only way we’ll know is results in the next month or so.

I got the sense on Sat that they were doing just enough to get the win - that they weren’t going all-out. I could be all wrong but it’s much more like the SA approach of doing just enough

5 Likes

This is just the culture across the board in Irish rugby media though. Very rarely any criticism of teams management or players and any success the hyperbole of best team in the world and world class etc etc goes into overdrive.

Not too long ago the media were having discussions about the need to develop a fifth province because Ireland just had too much rugby talent for four teams. Look at the state of Connacht Munster and Ulster.

Leo has ruined the Munsters.

I wouldn’t take anything from that Leicester match but there’s a lot to be said about La Rochelle looking like they’re peaking at the right time for a third Champions Cup on the bounce. I’d be damn worried if I was a Leinster fan about how they could perform as a pack without James Ryan again. Him going off in 2022 and him missing last year was a huge blow. He’d have done no worse than Hendo in the WC QF either.

It’s probably the most fascinated I’ve been by a neutral Champions Cup game in ages. It’ll either burst the dam of positivity surrounding Cullen or he’ll banish a big monkey off his back.

1 Like

Would be potentially worthwhile if one of the Welsh teams went tits up for the IRFU to fund some Irish squad members. Same for Scotland really.

There is still a lot of talent over in England and that has its benefits.

I don’t think we need another full belt and brace province but more places for players is good.