The Anti Rugby Football Thread Pt 2

Aki was working as a bank teller.

Hansen was working as a sparky.

That’s not true on Hansen anyways. He’ll openly tell you he almost was gonna pack it in until Andy Friend’s young lad put them in contact.

Barron made his senior debut in 2018. He’s played around 70 games for Munster.

A lot of those sub cameos.

The first Munster team Keith wood went abroad and had a huge influence coming back.

Jennings and Cullen went to Leicester and came back and had a huge influence.

Eoin reddan another example.

Tagdh beirne is another.

Stock piling players is good for nobody.

1 Like

All good examples. There is absolutely nothing stopping players going doing the same. Tommy Bowe another one.

Aki didn’t play for a rugby team before joining Connacht? He didn’t play all the games in the season for the years before he joined Connacht.

He decided to up and move club himself. This bears no relation to an Irish player loan system. Any Irish player may equally up and move club. Many of them absolutely should.

The point is there is a lot of very good players not getting game time. A lot of players don’t want to move out of Leinster to another province as well.

Opening up another avenue for development can only be a good thing.

You have Crowley and the next four Irish fly halve options are at Leinster.

Nobody is benefiting from that not the players or Leinster imo.

I’m not debating the loan stuff. Hansen was absolutely almost lost to professional rugby. He was told he wasn’t going to be kept on at Brumbies because they were cutting players due to huge financial losses and he was looking into retiring around Christmas 2020 because the money for most Super Rugby players at Aussie clubs is poor.

If fairness with Leinster it is a tricky one. I counted 20 odd players who went from the Leinster system to Munster either directly or indirectly over the last decade. It would he similar with the other provinces and probably double that over to England.

It’s hard to know for Leinster when to chop lads as there is always the risk that someone goes to another province.

I do think the system needs to he less rigged generally. 100 cap players should he picked if they decide to go abroad. Temporary loans should he pushed more.

For the southern hemisphere, if the IRFU are largely funding a player then I think they’d be open to it.

1 Like

I’ll be murdered for this but I actually think it makes sense for Pom to move on from Munster.

It’s incredibly harsh and sounds awful but with edogbo, Kleyn, beirne, ahern, hodnett, gleeson, jod, Coombes, kendellen and a few other good players they are well stocked in the 4 to 8 area of the squad.

1 Like

On Leinster given the numbers they’ll always get a couple wrong but identifying when lads aren’t good enough is a huge part of it.

They take up vital space and money.

Which of the four players are Leinster willing to do without for a year? Where do you suggest they be sent that they will get more gametime than they currently get at Leinster? Division two in France or something? What’s the player’s input into all this?

Ask the player do you want to make it as a professional or do you not?

The conversation was about this proposed loan system and hansen was offered as an example to support the proposal. I don’t think the situations are in any way related.

Jesus wept the example was to show what can happen when you play games.

Unless you are an international at 21/22 you won’t get too much of a look in at Leinster.

Answer any of the other questions there. Which player. Where would you send them? For how long? Why would say, frawley, want to schlep off to France for a year? It’s just nonsense.

So he can bloody play rugby you mad man. What’s the point of sitting on the bench from 20 to 25 in the hope somebody might get injured?

That’s completely wrong anyway. Loads of current Leinster players were also rans until their mid 20s. In fact, the fact that they stayed with Leinster and waited and got their opportunities probably greatly assisted some of them.

Name a couple?