The Business Ideas thread

Immense

Ring the Conoles in Kinvara Chewy. They’ll trial it for you. Loads of footfall. Perfect Target market.

You could do a voucher system deal with the bar. After every 5 cans you get a free go or something. That would get them interested.

I have to get an engineer to design it first, then patent it and then go on Dragon’s Den with it before I would even be in a place to trial it

I’m a bit annoyed to discover a company have setup a business I had been thinking of starting, using the exact same software and plan I had in mind.

Snooze and lose…

Maybe your effort would be better?

Though would you be willing to go through the pain of getting a business off the ground?

Sorry pal.

Rocko and myself were reading your PMs on the subject and thought it best to get in ahead of you.

No hard feelings.

[quote=“Kinvara’s Passion, post: 758400, member: 686”]Snooze and lose…

Maybe your effort would be better?

Though would you be willing to go through the pain of getting a business off the ground?[/quote]

Of course my effort would be better. I already have a grand little side business on the go, but ya I had plenty of time to get this other idea off the ground if I was serious about it. I reckon this one wouldn’t take much effort, all you’d have to do is make sure the software was working as it should. It would have been a nice add on the existing side business, but I wouldn’t have the time for both.

We’re in similar situations so. My current sideline business is starting to take up a lot of time and I am wondering about the longevity of the business itself. Many great ideas flash through my head but I’m time poor and never really give any of them serious consideration.

Has it anything to do with printing leaflets?

I’m actually hot property in that sector

Of course it has. Every saltworth on tfk knows that flyers are the ultimate business.

This is an idea I had years ago. I left it alone when I discovered that people were parking bikes in Drury St. Car Park and other car parks. I never forgot about it though and a post on Broadsheet a couple of weeks ago which said that some thieves had gone into Drury St with a bolt-cutters and made hay got me itching for it again.

The idea: a safe, cheap, permanently manned place to leave your bike. I’d envisage two, one on the southside and one on the northside. Like a bike cloakroom of sorts. Eventually with other services being offered (washing, servicing etc). No lugging around heavy locks, no looking in vain for a place to lock your ride along George’s Street, no wondering will your bike still be there when you get back. Cycling is hot right now and will get hotter. Bike theft is an epidemic. A suitable space might easy to get due to the number of empty buildings in town.

Example in Sao Paolo.
http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/ascobike-the-largest-bicycle-parking-in-the-americas.html

Thoughts? Opinions?

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 813995, member: 129”]This is an idea I had years ago. I left it alone when I discovered that people were parking bikes in Drury St. Car Park and other car parks. I never forgot about it though and a post on Broadsheet a couple of weeks ago which said that some thieves had gone into Drury St with a bolt-cutters and made hay got me itching for it again.

The idea: a safe, cheap, permanently manned place to leave your bike. I’d envisage two, one on the southside and one on the northside. Like a bike cloakroom of sorts. Eventually with other services being offered (washing, servicing etc). No lugging around heavy locks, no looking in vain for a place to lock your ride along George’s Street, no wondering will your bike still be there when you get back. Cycling is hot right now and will get hotter. Bike theft is an epidemic. A suitable space might easy to get due to the number of empty buildings in town.

Example in Sao Paolo.
http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/ascobike-the-largest-bicycle-parking-in-the-americas.html

Thoughts? Opinions?[/quote]

People who cycle are generally tight cunts.

That’s true. But they HATE getting their bikes stolen. From reading Broadsheet I’ve seen people get their bike stolen from their workplace car parks, from the hallway of their office on Leeson Street, and just about anywhere else you could imagine. My bike cost me €1000 on the bike to work. It’s great for cycling to someone’s house or to work but I can’t go into town on it because I’m afraid it’d be stolen. I’d gladly pay a euro or two to drop it in somewhere and know it’s safe so I can go about my business.

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 813995, member: 129”]This is an idea I had years ago. I left it alone when I discovered that people were parking bikes in Drury St. Car Park and other car parks. I never forgot about it though and a post on Broadsheet a couple of weeks ago which said that some thieves had gone into Drury St with a bolt-cutters and made hay got me itching for it again.

Example in Sao Paolo.

Thoughts? Opinions?[/quote]

Depends on the location I suppose but I would imagine that the fact that you can cycle directly to your place of business is one of the main attractions for these freaks-would this not be negated if they had to park somewhere a good bit away from work and then walk?

How much would you be looking at charging for say a weekly ticket?
At 20 quid a week you’d need to get 100 customers to generate €2,000 a week, from which you’d have to pay staff and rent. Bike customers would probably like 24hour access. Could you control this?

[quote=“TreatyStones, post: 814006, member: 1786”]How much would you be looking at charging for say a weekly ticket?
At 20 quid a week you’d need to get 100 customers to generate €2,000 a week, from which you’d have to pay staff and rent. Bike customers would probably like 24hour access. Could you control this?[/quote]

I wouldn’t envisage anything as high as 20 a week, half that at most for “members”. My target would be the people who currently have their bikes locked on every single space along George’s Street, the central reservation along O’Connell Street, around Castle Market and everywhere else. Could be €1 a pop for up to a certain number of hours.

All depends on overheads really. It’s clearly viable in Sao Paolo and in cities in Holland and Germany.

Someone said on broadsheet that they went to the Gards recently to say their bike was nicked. The Gards told him 5 other bikes had been stolen in the last half hour.

[quote=“Thrawneen, post: 814010, member: 129”]I wouldn’t envisage anything as high as 20 a week, half that at most for “members”. My target would be the people who currently have their bikes locked on every single space along George’s Street, the central reservation along O’Connell Street, around Castle Market and everywhere else. Could be €1 a pop for up to a certain number of hours.

All depends on overheads really. It’s clearly viable in Sao Paolo and in cities in Holland and Germany.

Someone said on broadsheet that they went to the Gards recently to say their bike was nicked. The Gards told him 5 other bikes had been stolen in the last half hour.[/quote]

Dont fuck with the underground chop bike shop industry in Dublin Thrawneen.

I have friends in Store Street and on Dublin City Council. I’m sure I can arrange a sit-down with one of the underworld bigwigs and work something out.

Do you own a blue hoodie?