The Business Ideas thread

Technically you could gain access by helicopter, but do you own the water in the lake, the fish, whatever. Or is it a bit like if gold was found on your land, the government can come take it off you.

The private group has representatives from many clubs.

I think I was on a prototype of this in Galway bay about 12 years ago.

the fuck are you on about with a helicopter?

where would you land? on the lake?

No one owns water.

if the lake is enclosed on someone’s land it’s their lake,.

You are contradicting yourself there count.

I think that’s the gist of it. If there’s a river running into the lake then waterways/fisheries bodies have an interest. What you’re talking about sounds like a pond in effect.

where would you land? on the lake?

Exactly

And people always ask why the peasantry didnt use a helicopter to fish during the famine :rollseyes:

I could be wrong but them lads or some derivative of them have been on the go a long time. Been promising a commercially viable machine for a decade or so. Hopefully they have it cracked now, been a money sink thus far

Even a quicken google suggests this should have been installed a year ago already :thinking:

No you don’t, you’d have to own the riverbed / lakebed and everything above it. Also fishing rights to land are often bought or sold separately so that sometimes people own land but someone else owns the fishing rights going back centuries. It depends on the exact piece if land and the exact lake.

The “oscillating water column principle”. Thanks, I’m better informed now.

How?

I have may discussed this idea on here before but would lads be interested in an arcade form of gambling. The biggest issue is people love betting but hate losing. The other biggest issue is lads getting their accounts closed. Esteban would be my target. He got all his accounts closed and doesn’t bet anymore despite being able to pick a winner. Last man standings in soccer and nfl fantasy football are very popular and this would be a sort of mix. Let’s just say you could buy in for 10 euro and the winning prize was 5k. For your ten euros you’d be credited with 1000 points or fake notes almost. Monopoly money online in a way. The odds would be based on actual real life odds. You could then use your fake money to bet on the horses. The winner would be the person with the most returns from the make believe money. The risk would be tiny but the rewards would be decent. You’d obviously never get an account closed. You could arrange games between friends and you could probably run it for other sports as well. Maybe it’s an awful idea. It’s basically On line poker with horses I guess.

Powers had BetDash a number of years back before it was dropped.

What was that? I’d presume bookies wouldn’t want anything to do with it.

You could run monthly comps for bigger prizes too so even if you are down on the day you could top up again or at least have an interest in all your “bets”. You’d have an interest in more races which a lot of punters craze. An outside chance of a big win but it would also be fun. You could be beating your friends which is the attraction to fantasy football.

This has been done before and failed terribly. Mick or Paddy only want to bet with real money.

1 Like

Has it? Given the popularity of fantasy football I’m not so sure it would. I’d also target Australia probably as they bet a lot per person.

What you’re describing is a mix of both BetDash and Bragbet

http://www.bragbet.com/

Its all part of Social Gaming. Virgin Games in the UK also tried to launch something similar to this and the take up rate was terrible. Fantasy Sports in the US is the most comparable thing but that’s tied to long seasons rather than once off horse races. Maybe it would have a higher chance of success now than 5 years ago but I’d have doubts.

Powers also used BetDash as a way to try and acquire real money players which was blindingly obvious as soon as you signed up so it was completed flawed from the start.