The Cancer Thread

When you did your knee(?) your neighbours baked you a load of confectionary and cakes.
It’s time for you to step up and make a few home cooked meals to stick in her freezer.

2 Likes

Listen, one ailment is hard enough to deal with

3 Likes

Suits you

He’s still paying that toll

1 Like

Funny I noticed in my own situation when people were visiting my auld fella the sheer awkwardness of a lot of the older generation. They’d be shredding each other in the pub but when they came into house and saw him laid up they didn’t know what to do. One fella who’d been a close friend and probably known my dad 50 odd years called. He just kind of looked at him and then looked at me and goes “he doesn’t look awful”. I laughed and said you know he can here you :joy:. A lot of people are completely taken out of their comfort zone by it.

17 Likes

You cant beat a bit of black humour
I remember after my initial diagnosis before I went off sick, I was in dunnes in Portlaoise. The delivery was in but it was taking the storeman an age to count it. I said to him “Is it any wonder I’m riddled with cancer waiting around for ye fuckers” to which he replied instantly " I’m surprised it took to you, you contrary aul cunt" We both had to be picked up off the ground laughing.
That actually happened

22 Likes

I don’t believe that ye had to be picked off the ground laughing.

3 Likes

Sometimes you just need to laugh, it’s good for the body and for the mind .

1 Like

That was a great answer from the other guy​:+1::+1:

3 Likes

That’s one to be saved

Well as someone who had a very mild version of the big C, I completely agree. But it affects young people too. A lot of stigma, a lot of fear. Fear and boredom are killers…anxiety can be a destroyer when you’re going through chemo.

I had a dozen or so people call to me when sick. The best were those that took the piss out of me or had the craic straight off. Youd be flying for a few days after that. The ones would come all worrying and “can i do that for ya?” were more of a hindrance. Although in different circumstances they are a necessity in the instances I observed and to be cherished as absolute heroes.

Some people go through torture to help others get over cancer. The missus as an example had to listen to every mood swing, downer, illness and snore…poor woman went through hell. Others struggle with the visualisation. The ould lad couldnt take himself to see me facing the ward. Didnt want to hear and didnt understand it. Better off with some lad calling in and taking the piss to be honest.

41 Likes

Terrific post lad, worthy of whatever award is above the 10 median.

2 Likes

This fella is one of the good guys. A Limerick man who has coached hurling at all levels in Dublin.

4 Likes

I can’t imagine how someone would deal with that. Real courage.

1 Like

You deal with it because you’ve no choice mate,

5 Likes

Exactly right. Call it stubborness, faith, whatever you want.

I was very lucky. You see kids in Crumlin and people in chemo wards around the country going through much much worse and smiling and battling.

Positivity and confidence is everything imho. Some people get every knock back under the son and remain confident.

2 Likes

Got the all clear yesterday after noticing a suspicious lump recently. Not the first time to get a scare but the fear was far worse. Possibly because of family. Mrs due our second in a few days so tried to keep it from her but she knew something was up. Some relief. Not sure I’d have coped too well with bad news.

39 Likes

:clap:
Best of luck with the new arrival pal

2 Likes

Good to hear Mike and good to hear of the impending partner in crime for rascal

2 Likes

Great news @mikehunt

1 Like