The causes of Glas

It depends on what you consider educated… In Ireland/ US it seems to mean prepared for a certain job…in other parts of the world it means that you are prepared for the world. Yes, Irish universities are spitting out top job prospects to suit US multi nationals but by and large they are pig ignorant about health, food, politics, and the ways of the world etc. etc and sadly lack any form of critical thinking… Our model fits consumer society, drones for a workforce that don’t question the system.

3 Likes

I’ll take it under advisement.

1 Like

The boys are living in yesteryear when we used pat ourselves on the back for how great our education system was. Our system of secondary schooling is simply backward and our university rankings are pathetic.

Preparing young people to get a job isn’t the worst idea in the world.

1 Like

They’re not really. When you look at the funding they get they are punching above their weight. Usually about 2 or 3 in the top 100.

3rd level should be focused on employment unless the course focus is humanities. That stuff needs to be done at secondary level alright.

TCD squeaks into the top 100, UCD is probably the only other one in the top 200. Pretty shit.

However many should we have?

Ucc, trinity and ucd often make it into the top 100. You’re comparing institutes who get 8k per student versus 40k with US and UK universities.

In existence?

Not any rankings I’ve seen they haven’t

In the top 100.

Is that a serious answer or is that you being facetious?

This is a bit of a myth. Most US firms who’ve located here have used Ireland as their base for operational centres or back office functions.

For example we’ve thousands of people employed in Fund Accounting roles who either weren’t smart enough or too lazy to become proper accountants. They do work that is also done by college students on work experience i.e. back end number processing. This isn’t highly skilled work in any shape or form yet some lads will tell you how great it is to work in ‘funds’. Still it gives a potential career to many commerce and business graduates who haven’t a clue what they should do as their degree is fairly worthless in the overall scheme of things.

If you look through the work the ‘tech’ firms do here or the likes of Google, Facebook, Twitter, PayPal (I don’t know too much about what Microsoft have here) large portions of the workforce are in roles that are operational base and a fancy equivalent of a call centre.

Also, your point on the church is wrong. You still need to get your child christened in order to attend over 90% of the primary schools outside Dublin as they’re still linked to the church.

4 Likes

Mac speaks the truth. We’ve recently examined enrolling the little lady in 3 different schools. They all asked for a baptismal cert.

Funds = excel jockeys

1 Like

Its ridiculous. I spent my years work experience in college at the ‘cutting edge’ of funds. Its harder for a lad in a chipper to produce perfect chips than it is to work in funds.

If what you say is true it’s astounding that you’ve attended an Irish university for as long as tfk has been alive and you still can’t get a job.

Great work @Juhniallio, set up a thread about me and 56 posts later you’re agreeing with me. (Taking your lead from @mac of course.) Good boy.