The Celtic Phoenix - A thread to list the economic miracles of Michael Noonan & Fine Gael

How is it a straw man?

People state that they do not pay enough tax in Ireland but as a relative percentage they do far more than the OECD average.

It is literally debunking this absolute myth that is allowed to be floated around the place.

Here is an article from Seamus Coffey, someone who actually understands this. Sadly though people like Pearse Doherty, who do not understand the concept of losses forward or financial assets, will generate more headlines.

These are the facts.

Can you argue them?

Ah lovely.
The devil can cite scripture for his purpose.

In any case you know full well how specious this line is.

I’ve just posted it.

Of our 200 plus billion debt, nearly 80% has been accrued through welfare and public sector pay. Not the bank debt, a bank debt which as well as (wrongly) protecting some bond holders also protected ordinary Irish people.

Welfare is a direct redistribution.

1 Like

This is true

Why can’t you argue the actual facts here?

Did you even read the Seamus Coffey piece?

Im not going to argue against your wilfully skewed use of figures.

2 Likes

How are they skewed?

They are direct international comparisons.

Give an actual argument there.

I see Chocco liking your post there as cover, a lad who revealed himself not to understand basic tax points earlier.

Typical Tim comparison of apples and oranges.

I’m not particularly interested in what multi nationals pay elsewhere. It’s irrelevant. They don’t pay anything near the rate they should be paying here. In Ireland.

How?

That’s not multinationals.

That is total corporate tax take as a percentage of Government Income.

So if Ireland is way ahead of the OECD average, what does that suggest to you?

And why exactly should they pay more in Ireland. Give us an actual reason here.

Listen yourself and Pearse Doherty don’t understand the concept of losses forward so I’m not holding out much hope here, but I’m interested.

Welfare was paid before the crash too. People on welfare are far worse off now than they were pre-crash. Homeless numbers are at an all time high due to high rents. Rents controlled by numerous vested parties including the wealthy who bought assets at knock down prices. Can you join the dots here Tim?

Welfare was paid before the crash but we had little to no public debt.

You suggested the crash gave an opportunity for Noonan et al to redistribute wealth from poor to rich.

What it actually shows is the opposite. We mostly redistributed wealth from the more well off through taxes and through future generations to pay for the current day poorer members of our society.

Cut the bullshit, very few, if any countries charge 1% Corp Tax, they are mainly in Ireland for the state sponsored tax avoidance scheme in operation.

Who are these?

How does that tally up with these companies owing more to Ireland?

Apple used a loophole we had which was possible through other EU countries.

They did this to route profits through Ireland and shore the cash offshore. That was exploiting a loophole in US tax.

Ultimately Apple are bringing that money back to the United States now because of the Trump reforms, the place where it should be taxed. Do some of you lads who put stickers on iPhones and pick up customer service requests for Amazon actually think that is the real value creator for those companies? The value for Apple is created in the US, if there is going to be corporate tax paid, that is where the bulk belongs and that is where Apple has paid tax on much of that “13 billion Ireland is owed”.

The people who pay the bulk of the income and social security taxes in Ireland, the people on the higher tax band. As Ireland has one of the most progressive tax systems in the world.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/more-than-1-million-workers-will-not-pay-income-tax-this-year-1.3544848%3Fmode=amp

I already said I’m far from a financial expert, quite the opposite really … Can you just tell me are all these multi nationals / corporations paying the full 12.5% tax they should be paying?

Many Irish companies don’t pay the 12.5%.

Nor do French companies, for example.

Capital allowances, losses forward, various reliefts, intercompany movements- there are a host of reasons. Accounting profit does not equal taxable profit.

Might be useful for yourself (and Pearse)
http://www.careerintax.ie/getting-started/aiti-chartered-tax-adviser-cta-qualification/