The Celtic Phoenix - A thread to list the economic miracles of Michael Noonan & Fine Gael

Unless youā€™re out of work and canā€™t make the repayments. I donā€™t think anybody really saw just how hard repossession would be.

1 Like

Anybody who raises this is seen as somehow against ā€œnormal peopleā€ when the opposite is true.

The mistake people made from 2008 to 2012 and itā€™s human nature is they chase the market. They are anchored to a price that existed 3 months ago instead of pricing the house at the price that will be in six months.

The same thing happens in reverse on way up I suppose. Anchoring is a very powerful influence on us all.

2 Likes

I just got a letter in the door from an estate agent along the lines of ā€œwe have buyers in your areaā€

I love the smell of boom in the morning

Will there definitely be another bust?? We were told the last time that bust always follows boom and we were just too naive and harmless to see it

There could be a soft landing.

4 Likes

I think you are right.
The fundamentals seem sound.

3 Likes

Iā€™d be interested in your prime location. No need to involve solicitors, Iā€™ll give you a few K cash in hand for luck.

1 Like

You not down in Limerick yet? What are you waiting for. Prices are only going up forever.

This paragraph really jumped out at me:

And then thereā€™s the question about what weā€™ve got to show for this eight-year tax bonanza. Since 2014 corporation tax has exceeded forecasts by an average of ā‚¬1.2 billion a year but most of it has been used to plug holes in the health budget. Health overruns have averaged ā‚¬800 million a year.

Fine Gael, the fiscally prudent party.

1 Like

Thereā€™s not likely to be any end to the corporation tax boom though. Whatā€™s the trouble?

Heroic pro-business policies of FFG provide a boon to the health service is my reading of that. Sounds like the anti-business opposition want to deprive the health service of funding and literally kill people :thinking:

Do you think the likes of Robert Watt and Paul Reid would actually die if they had to take a salary cut?

We had dinner the other night with a friend of Ms Locke. She works in the dept of the Taoiseach. She said you cannot come down in pay as a Civil Servant and you canā€™t get fired/sacked. So say with Tony H, heā€™s 56 or whatever so 10ish years left in him. If he was doing a shit job and was moved aside, they have to find another role for him and heā€™d still get paid the same or heā€™d do nothing, and still get paid the same.

8 Likes

Snakes and ladders only the snakes are the pieces and thereā€™s only ladders on the board.

1 Like

Whatā€™s the cut off age for joining the civil service !

2 Likes

No cut off. I might consider joining next time.

2 Likes

Isnā€™t there an on-going case with a whistleblower from the agri sector. Heā€™s arguing theyā€™ve tried to do a McCabe on him. The worst they could do to him was take him out of the office, give him a pair of wellies and send him around a few farms. Still on same pay.

The first few years on a lot of the scales can be disproportionately low, and then you wouldnā€™t spend enough time to build up much of a pension pot, youā€™d surely do better elsewhere?

Well weā€™ve been told here by glas and art that there is now an extremely robust performance management system in place in the civil service so I think your friend is telling lies.

9 Likes

I donā€™t know why the CMO job isnā€™t a contract job, it doesnā€™t make sense to me for it to be a job for life. People that are underperforming can be tackled but it takes serious work. At senior levels itā€™s probably impossible no matter how bad they are, theyā€™ll go to the high court if theyā€™re taken on. I would say that the stats on people ā€œfiredā€ are probably not representative of the reality, lots of people will ā€œchoose to resignā€ where issues are taken on.