The Celtic Phoenix - A thread to list the economic miracles of Michael Noonan & Fine Gael

There will be an odd exception but in general it seems like a good idea to me. Do they get in when they turn 21?

I am in favour of paying more to people who initially lose their jobs. Statutory makes up for that somewhat, but I would be in favour of a system where people are paid a sliding scale of welfare starting from their current salary to far below the current level of standard unemployment benefits.

I am in favour of keeping under 25s benefits low and forcing them into education schemes.

You constantly bring up this 13bn as some sort of panacea. Even if I agreed that we should take that money, that is literally less than 25% of our annual public spending. It would be gone like that. People who default to that kind of figure are just plain idiots who don’t understand balancing books.

2 Likes

Yep. Profit is evil.

No, mate - from here on in you will need the leaving cert to apply for social welfare ---- Well, at least that’s what I would introduce… The minimum you should complete to avail of state handouts is the state examinations. If you’re not willing to complete them then why should the state afford you anything… It’s time to tackle the cycle of long term state aid - because that’s what it is - a cycle - Pa grows up seeing how his parents know how to get A,B,C and D for free so he drops out of school and subscribes to the same mindset — The leaving cert won’t stop every Pa doing the same, but it’s a start.

Step 2 will be state service for those already over 21 and unemployed - You can avoid of this by going back and getting yourself an education if you haven’t already- and /or availing of a number of up-skilling schemes - otherwise you are on community service.

Step 3 – Those on unemployment for 10+years and are not on disability or have no reason not to work/seek work, will be euthanized.

3 Likes

I bring up the 13bn to highlight your and “our” government’s hypocrisy. We were told the introduction of water charges was necessary to fund infrastructure upgrade. We were told the EU had told us we must introduce them. On the other hand we were instructed by the EU to collect 13bn from Apple. The govt have decided to appeal this. Whatever the rights and wrongs the hypocrisy is obvious. “We have no money”, “here’s 13bn from a tax evader”, “no thanks, we’ll squeeze the easy target for more”

You think targeting the U25’s welfare payments has worked and would encourage more of it. Homeless numbers in Ireland have doubled in 3 years. 46% of homeless happen to be Under 24. Any correlation there do you think? Now you want to target the elderly, what do you think will happen to them?

This isn’t hypocritical ffs.

The Government believe this is fundamental to our tax code and certainty of international investors in investing in Ireland.

The Government could sell the kitchen sink tomorrow and tax us even more to bring in money (in the short term), there are choices to be made.

No because the majority of those are living in hotels with their parents.

The difference between the dole over 25s and for those under 25 is not the reason for homelessness.

Put down your Sindo and outrage meter for one minute and come up with some logicial coherent thoughts. For example, one area that we agree on is the pay in semi state companies like Bus Eireann and the management of the HSE. Your answer to this is to sack all managers in the HSE. It’s ill thought out nonsense like this which allows these things to fester.

Can we fast-track Step 3 a bit?

Putting creatures down wouldn’t be my area of expertise - @KinvarasPassion might tell us what we need here to do this on an industrial level… Maybe Irish Water might come in useful after-all .

This nonsense of multi-nationals scattering is pure scare-mongering. There is no evidence to suggest they would leave. Upping sticks is not as straight forward as they would have you believe. Cap doffers bowing down to their perceived betters attitude. We have an educated English speaking workforce. Brexit has also strengthened our position.

A blind man would see the correlation between the increase in homelessness and the increase in cost of living/social welfare reductions. There are other reasons but the increase in cost of rent is the primary reason.

To ignore the number of admin staff/ within the HSE is akin to denying there’s any problem with the HSE. Overpaid, unaccountable and incompetent. And to think there are people who believed Irish Water (a replica of the HSE) was the way to go.

How would you go about fixing the HSE, Mike?

Put u in charge

Euthanise old people with a history of chronic illnesses.
You get x amount of bed nights per year after that you have the option to leave the hospital or accept a lethal injection.

I’m busy at the moment, give me an alternative

@Tassotti

1 Like

That’ll do.

Could we tie it into a Hunger Games type tv show?

Stop making a joke out of it.

4 Likes

You’ll rue this day, I’m off to Shinawil, we’re gonna make a fortune when we bring this to the HSE.

How do you know? This situation has never arisen before.

Do you not think that some will be less likely to invest somewhere if the assurances regarding their tax compliance are not there in the end?

My guess is that if the government did just take the money you’d have some moan still. You’re just that type of person.

How can they? Welfare rates have not come down dramatically in Ireland. 5 euro cuts and cuts to people still living with their parents are not causing people not to have homes. This is made up nonsense by yourself.

The reason for the housing situation is simply down to supply.

IMG_0847

When you don’t build for several years and have a rising population (combined with previous stock of housing in the boom being built in awful locations that nobody wants to live), then you’ll have price rises.

More making stuff up.

I never said that there shouldn’t be firings or reorganisation in the HSE.

This post by me sums up my position on the issues in the public sector management. I think layoffs are essential, but I am not grandstanding over it.

Your response was to fire everyone.

For the last time, the EU are not asking us to change our tax rate. They are asking us to collect what they deem unpaid taxes reported by Apple as being earned in Ireland.

It is not that simple. Developers believe they won’t get a big enough return for construction which again leads back to my original point of the cost of living in this country.

Something is not addding up with your OECD stats, you mentioned how they estimate our welfare recipients are in good shape when compared with other members but yet the rate of homelessness has doubled in 3 years. Is this the going rate across other OECD countries? I’m not sure how your proposal of further cuts in welfare is going to address this problem? I think it will increase the numbers but please feel free to explain how cutting welfare will reduce the number of homeless people.

Throw up a link where I said all administrators in the HSE should be sacked.