The Celtic Phoenix - A thread to list the economic miracles of Michael Noonan & Fine Gael

I think it worked well in the 70ā€™s and early 80ā€™s until a government grant gave the more affluent families in those estates a 5 thousand pound gift to move on.

That was an absolute disaster in Limerick city certainly along with building hundreds of units on the outside of the city on top of each other with no amenities at the time.

Social housing has to be built essentially, but in low density clusters and in a vetted manner.

1 Like

Sigh.

You are ignoring what I posted.

We built plenty of houses, just in the wrong places.

The wrong places was encouraged through zoning, regulation on apartment buildings, urban planning laws etc. It was stated Government policy in the 2000s to decentralise Dublin and every council/TD was gleeful in incentivizing builds.

After the crash, people wanted to lynch property developers in the streets. A political decision was taken to bankrupt them and then cripple them for long after other western countries would have them out of bankruptcy. The ones trying to do something are still sneered at, there is more to Jonny Ronanā€™s planning troubles than actual planning rules. As mentioned, we have until recently had incredibly backwards regulations on apartment/dense builds that encouraged hotel and office builds. We still have NIMBYISM rife, like the Transport minister protesting against a good dense development on a good transport corridor on the N11, just because itā€™s his constituency.

You simply cannot say it is the market, it is ridiculous.

Surely the thing to do is invest heavily in major regional towns to make them more accessible and resolve housing shortages? Galway, Limerick and Cork spring to mind. Let Dublin look after itself.

What does ā€œinvest inā€ mean?

How does it make these towns, with motorway, rail, and nearby airports, more ā€œaccessibleā€

Are there hordes of companies and people who wish to move there but just canā€™t get there in your opinion?

You actually asked for his opinion?

It costs between 300/400k just to build an apartment in Ireland today even where the local council own the landā€¦ whereā€™s the incentive there and whatā€™s pushing the prices up?

Rents on current apartments in Dublin are ludicrous and going up with no additional apartments/relief being built. A lot of foreign investors are buying up property and continuously upping the prices, itā€™s nuts. I get what @Julio_Geordio says that governments should not be building housing, but how do you level the playing field?

:brendan:

I just gave you ideas.

That is a part of Ireland 2040 but there are only so many clusters you can have for a population our size.

Where did you get that figure from?

Building costs are gone through the sky. Youā€™d build a 6 bedroom, ensuites galore, mansion for 300-400K

I read it or it was on Yates last week, canā€™t recall
ā€¦ Think the figures were when you went all in with planning and everything included.

Iā€™m not trying to be a gowl here at all, just interested. Economics etc isnā€™t my thingā€¦ I just find it odd that we live in fear of this so called market.

When we needed housing in the 50s and 60s we went out and built them for people.

Now we are constrained by an imaginary market. Do we not have a duty of care to help people out?

You can be sure it isnā€™t really costing them that , but high figures all the same.

Builders never lie mate.

1 Like

We forced the salt of the earth Dubs out of their homes and the area became known as Grand Canal Dock.

But now weā€™re being forced out of our homes by cunts called Chad and Sergei who work in the area they call Google Docks.

These multinational companies are either buying up the scarce city centre property stock themselves, or are happy to pay exorbitant rents to secure these places. Itā€™s becoming like Canary Wharf with a load of office blocks but fuck all residential units.

The majority of Irish workers travel into these soulless buildings (which are actually great because thereā€™s a pool table on the top floor and bean bags to sit on beside the canteen) on buses and trains from the satellite towns every morning. Because thereā€™s hardly anywhere to live near their places of work and they canā€™t afford them anyway.

Flowing like lava out of the train, DART and bus stations to get to these places where instead of an annual bonus and/or pay rise they get invited to join staff groups to organise discussions on mindfulness, yoga and mental health and they might even get a free summer BBQ too.

These places really look after their staff and itā€™s imperative that our countryā€™s economic model is designed to attract them and keep them here, even if they pay 0.01% tax on profits. They can then use these untaxed profits to secure even more of the city centre property stock.

I post a variation of this post every few months but FML life. Bob, we need to get more people involved in the struggle.

11 Likes

Construction costs make up less than half of these figures, which include the likes of VAT costs and developersā€™ profit margins.

Theyā€™re also in the middle of building Bolands Mills, a ā€œmixedā€ use development that will have nearly 2,500 workers but contains 41 apartments. Google has bought this of course so those apartments will house 41 yanks while fuck knows where these additional 2,500 people will live. Itā€™s actually quite infuriating. It will be myself, yourself, a load of dickhead Google millennials and a handful of eastern European hookers in a few years time kid.

1 Like

Aside from the apartment argument, why are Google buying up so much office space and we arenā€™t just building up denser builds to save space?

Thereā€™s no value of life, mate. Itā€™s all about profit, thatā€™s just how itā€™s gone these days.

People will say thatā€™s capitalism and itā€™s what makes the world tick, to grow up etc. etcā€¦ But part of capitalism is also loss, you invest in something, you make a profit or you make a loss. We had European bond holders that took such a gamble here in Ireland and when their investment went tits up capitalism went out the window - we guaranteed them their money and socialized the debt onto the working manā€¦

Now as you quite rightly point out, we are being priced out of our own country and we cant build affordable housing to fix it as that will interfere with profits apparently.

The mind boggles.

2 Likes

Google arenā€™t property developers or landlords.

They would much prefer a functioning property market here so they donā€™t have to source these things themselves.

The people being protected the most at the moment are those who bought in the Celtic Tiger at boom prices and have seen reinflation of their equity values due to the lack of construction for several years. Many of these are second home owners and 50 plus. It is essentially the baby boomers to blame.