The Corruption Thread

it would be interesting to see his S68 letter. he apparently charges nearly 3 times shatter’s hourly rate. it also raises an issue about whoever was supposedly acting for the child

2 Likes

The mica scandal in Donegal should be all over the national press. Cassidy Bros., Donegal Co. Co., and the EPA all look to be dirty in this.

Yeah it’s a shit show poor ppl left without any redress so far despite picketing etc , local td needs a kick up the hole

Signing in. Had an engineer over looking at the house on Saturday. We thought we were after getting lucky but some of the houses built in a later phase confirmed that they had it a few months back. The engineer said all of the houses in the estate will have it.

The clusterfuck is even worse as they’re trying to get away with just redoing the outer leaf. Be some challenge to get house insurance from anyone if they know you might have MICA on the inner leaf.

He told us the best thing we could do is wait for even more cracks to appear and the damage to qualify for a full rebuild - which means we’ll have to move out and find somewhere to rent for 9-12 months when around 5-10,000 other houses will also have to be rebuilt so it’ll be nigh on impossible to find anywhere close to the boys’ school.

And the cunts responsible have bought other quarries and are working away on Council contracts without a bother. Absolute fucking joke shop.

20 Likes

That’s terrible news pal.

Cassidys seems like some crowd of gangsters. How old is the house itself?

1 Like

That’s really awful. Are cracks inevitable or just more likely?

1 Like

It was built in 2004/5. They’re now discovering it in houses built as far back as 1997 and as recently as 2018.

We bought it in 2016 and had an engineer’s report done, as you have to of course. I asked the engineer about the potential for MICA, w knew there was a issue in Inishowen and one other estate in Letterkenny. He talked me out of it saying it would cost have cost thousands to get it done - we’re now finding out it could have been done for as little as €900.

He included a paragraph in his report to say there was no sign of MICA from his visual test and he wouldn’t be able to ascertain more with laboratory testing. To be fair I doubt the vendor would have allowed it anyhow.

1 Like

Is there varying degrees as to how far the damage will be with your house?

Some of the houses on the news seem horrific.

There was a horizontal crack on the side of our house that looked like a normal settling crack, it even disappeared when we painted last year - it’s back again this year.

To give you an idea from where I’m sitting at my home office desk I can see the house that was Super Garden on RTE 2/3 years ago and it was in pristine condition then. Now there’s nothing but cracks all over it. The guy living there said that once they start to get worse it just spreads like wildfire. His place was built a couple of years after us but is much more exposed to the weather conditions.

Engineer told us not to do any painting or maintenance so we qualify for the scheme as soon as possible.

One of my mates said that an earthquake hitting Donegal would not have done as much damage.

Depends on weather exposure and the lab reports will reveal it eventually. The engineer said that if you have it then it’s a ticking time bomb, the cracks are coming one way or the other.

The ones in Inishowen will be done first as some of them are barely standing. I’ve a feeling the Govt will try kick the stone down the road and let the next Govt try to budget for it.

We were just about to start a renovation to one side of the house and have to put that on hold now indefinitely which is maddening.

2 Likes

Hope it works out for you.

With the costs soaring I think the govt will try and wash their hands of it.

Something really needs to be done on Cassidys though. Things must be quite tense locally with them?

1 Like

They’ve closed their public office for the main company. They own Churchill Stone as well and they seem to be busier than ever. The cunts will probably be contracted by the council for the rebuild process - especially if John O’Donnell gets a cut off them :stuck_out_tongue: P

I’ve heard reports of work being done on houses by builders and the owner turning away a Cassidy’s truck when it landed with blocks. Dunno how true that is.

All eyes on what Inishowen natives McConalogue and MacLochlainn say when the report is launched. All political parties left it as late as possible to jump on the issue.

1 Like

Sorry to hear this bud

1 Like

If you are so minded you could sue the engineer - his PI policy will be who you are dealing with. Worth investigating

1 Like

Unfortunately, it’s unlikely to go anywhere as it will be a case of “he said, she said”. The engineer did a visual inspection, and, if he had his house in order, he will have photographic evidence to show no visible signs of cracks. Having said all that, @croppy_boy might have very little to lose. Would a reasonably-minded engineer have insisted on an intrusive investigation, knowing the risks in the area, or would they try to talk the client out of it, as happened in this instance? Could be a shot to nothing. There are bound to be hundreds / thousands thinking along the same lines.

1 Like

I’m very sorry to hear this.

1 Like

I’d have a go. Insurance companies don’t like to run these cases as they can set a precedent

That’s fucking shit sorry to hear that. How the fuck are they still receiving public money.

1 Like