We were the second last year to do the Inter Cert

A proper exam

1 Like

We were the last, 1989.
The class after us did the Junior

That was the end of the group cert

Well done she must take after her mam :clap::clap:

1 Like

Ah thats great news. Well done her. Fine work.

The Inter cert was a proper exam back in the day. Lads left school at 15 and got real jobs as clerks and shop assistants on the strength of their Inter. A real test of a youngster.

5 Likes

Well done to your daughter.

Iā€™ve no idea whatā€™s happening on that but if youre daughter is happy well done her. Karen must be delighted too?

4 Likes

Yip, in looks as well thankfully

1 Like

Nice to see she got a Distinction in Home Ec, if all else fails at least she will keep her man happy, and not forgetting a bit of music after she has cooked the meal

Maurice did the smallie decide yet what heā€™s going to do?
Reason Iā€™m asking 3 of my smallies oC classmates are now in UCC having wasted a full year in MTU
Nothing wrong with MTU but for whatever reason they chose what their parents wanted them to do and only realised a few months into their various courses that naaaa made a mistake
All 3 doing arts atm in UCC

:+1: heā€™s identified a couple of courses that tickle his interest. We talk about it a lot, focus on study patterns and work ethic to get him into the frame of mind that it gives him his best options. He is mathsy and sciencey and good at the DCG stuff, the opposite to me. A good kid and I hadnā€™t a scooby back at his age.

3 Likes

If he is good at maths, think about a pathway to do something like actuary eventually. There is a huge demand for skills in this area and it will increase because people with skills are retiring.

2 Likes

Ah Jesus would you condemn a child to a life as an actuary?

2 Likes

Are actuaries not being replaced by algorithms

Sarah McInerney will be gutted

3 Likes

You need to be able to present the data. You donā€™t need swotty maths nerds so much.

1 Like

Everything is common level now at Junior Cert apart from Irish, maths and English. Common level is that bit easier than higher level would have been in the past but I suppose itā€™s 90% now for a distinction whereas 85% would have gotten you the A in old money. CSPE is no longer an exam subject either. A real pity seeing as it was such a *handy A in Junior Cert.

*Although the lads who only got a B would say that was a myth.

1 Like

Anyone who didnt come out with an A in CSPE must have a serious bit of want in them or else their teachers/school had. Canā€™t recall how long you had to wait before being allowed leave the exam hall but once the time came I remember a good three quarters or more of us all fucked off out the door it was such a piece of piss of a written exam.

On a side note, seems like Junior Cert night has become a tame enough affair. At least the college students more than made up for the lack of chaos with their Christmas Day today.

2 Likes

You canā€™t even get served in a pub at 16 anymore. Fucking health and safety

1 Like