The Daddy Thread

I was down at the little wan’s new school for a parent induction evening. The principal made some comment along the line of ‘new mammies’ and ‘I’ll be one of them myself in September’. I took this as meaning she was pregnant. She is a strong looking woman so it seemed reasonable that she was with child. As we were leaving, she said ‘best of luck to ye’, and I smiled and said ‘oh and the best of luck to you too! Exciting times ahead’ or something like that. Only when I went up the road did the Mrs inform me she wasn’t pregnant, and she just meant her kid was starting junior infants as well… Thankfully, I held back from the whole ‘when is the due date etc.’ spiel that I was thinking of offloading…

17 Likes

Did the Mrs cop you thought she was pregnant or did you flag it to her?

There’s a girl in our office who’s been getting progressively more pregnant for 18 months now. I still remember the day I almost congratulated her and chose to bite my tongue. It could have been an absolute disaster

9 Likes

Jaysus lads. I’d forgotten how ye do it. We’ve a niece (1) and nephew (4) here for a couple of days. Up since 5.30am. I’ve no problem getting up at that time to go to the gym but I’m bolloxed here.

5 Likes

Just when we were getting good at it they grew up, a bit like footing turf - just when yer in the swing of it yer finished

1 Like

Gaeltacht for the eldest today.

8 Likes

Where they headed?

Ggggggggaaalllwwwayyyyyy

Ca bhfuil an quinoa bean an ti?

5 Likes

They grow up very quickly.

1 Like

On the subject of schools we’ve started talks here tho we are a year out. We put the name down for the local national school 2 years ago but i believe that system is changing plus we were unsure if we were gonna be staying in the area but we’re now locked in.

In the little one’s pre school the other foreign parents have been asking the mrs what schools are best academically and it kind of highlights the difference in attitudes with Irish people who are generally happy to go locally or what’s convenient.

The national school is in the park and a 5 minute walk. It’s a new enough school and all young staff - we’ve heard from sound enough parents who currently have kids there that there is a lot of keeping up with the jones’ with the school tho - a lot of kids whose parents work long hours for their big house make up for their absence with money and things - in other words a lot of spoilt shits rubbing it in with the other kids. It’s also very cliquey among parents. And Big class numbers.

There’s a educate near by also which i always thought I’d send my kids to but I’d rather home school then send them to one of these places.

That leaves us with a gaelscoil. Probably the best schools academically as there as no real special needs, foreigners (very few) or travellers and class sizes are small. The concern in the language among both parents…bi understand more than i can speak, but we’ve been assured theses schools easily work around all that.

I know essentially what we do at home will drive the ship but the smaller classes and the chance to teach our kids Irish appeal. It’s about 10 min drive away… Most kids in the park will go to the national school… I’m undecided if this is a good or a bad thing friends wise…the national school isn’t great academically is what we’ve been told :person_shrugging:t2:

So, anyone send their kids to a gaelscoil?

1 Like

Someone in work sends kid to a gaelscoil & hasn’t a word of Irish. Not an issue

1 Like

Cc @Juhniallio

PS. The window to apply (here anyway but I think everywhere else now due to GDPR or something) is a month or so (October/November direction). We applied to three and she was offered a place in all. We had two a little over a kilometre away but went for the more rural, smaller one. Ten minutes walk and don’t have to cross the main road.

If we had an Educate Together, I possibly would have gone for it, but a friend of mine is relatively pissed off with the experience. Said when his daughter started, it was great, a real multicultural vibe. Now it’s just upper middle class people in Wicklow and has become know as Segregate Together.

3 Likes

She must be having twins .

2 Likes

I was always fond of a lie in as a kid. First night Rascal stayed down at my home place he was 6 weeks old. Slept for 12 hours. Twas the youngest’s first night down here last night. He put in a 12 hour shift too.

Their daddy’s taking his time

My kids are in a very rural school, within a 10 min drive of at least 5 other national schools

There is 32 in my daughters class and 41 in my son’s which is split into two classes. School is rammed. Loads of space in the other schools. Id say big numbers is a sign of a good school more than anything (and childcare facilities adjacent)

1 Like

There was 48 in my class in the primary.

8 Likes

Some minding in that the birch must have been working overtime

The leather was the weapon of choice for the brothers in those days.

4 Likes

There was a right cunt teaching in a primary school near ardrahan in the 80s and he’d make the kid pick out the hazel rod from a selection of different gauges.

3 Likes

:rofl: spag bol gach lĂĄ

2 Likes