The Daily Debate 24-03-2020 - Zlatan or Larsson?

I would say also that Zlatan’s style didn’t really suit Barca

09 Barcelona won the champions league. In 2010 inter won the champions league who had just sold zatlan to Barcelona. In 2011 after running zatlan out of the club Barcelona regain the champions league. If zatlan was deemed a success he’d have lasted more than 9 months. Inter wouldn’t have improved to win it without him. Over 15 seasons he never done it the champions league with five teams who were nearly always competitive. He’s extremely overrated.

I don’t think I mentioned anything about Larsson being overrated

Can you ever get anything right? :laughing:

I meant zatlan.

Zlatan. You should stop typing so fast and start proof reading your posts

1 Like

Can you point out the season he was a success in Europe? That’s the bench mark for great players.

Inter improved due to being able to take the money they received for Zlatan and buy Milito, Sneijder, Lucio and Thiago Motta along with getting Samuel Eto’o who had fallen out with Guardiola. They were able to upgrade the every area of the field with quality players tailor made for Mourinho’s style of football from the money they received for Zlatan. It wasn’t a case that it was the same Inter Milan team Zlatan left minus Zlatan which won the Champions League.

Zlatan had an excellent six months at Barca before a back injury and a falling out with Guardiola put paid to his spell there. The ash cloud grounding planes was a huge stroke of luck for Inter and gave them a huge advantage in the Champions League. They also came unstuck against a Chelsea team two years later who parked the bus, it happens in knockout competitions.

The Barca side that year were every bit as impressive as the team the previous two years and the two years after. They didn’t significantly improve with Zlatan in the side nor did they improve without him from a footballing perspective.

3 Likes

Zlatan was the best player in the early months at Barca until Messi threw a strop about him being the main man.

No team fell apart after he left either or significantly improved after he signed. That isn’t the sign of a great player. Over a fifteen year period with Barcelona, psg, inter, juve and ac Milan he never really done it in the latter stages of the champions league. That is the bench mark for great players and he failed consistently. His career with inter is very overrated due to the match fixing scandals. Do juve even still have the titles they won with him or were they taken off them over the scandal? He played in a Mickey Mouse league in France and was deemed a failure at Barcelona. He is a good player but incredibly overrated. When he couldn’t bully teams he never really done much Else.

Yeah I thought it was Messi he fell out with before Pep.

Wasn’t Henrik Larsson part of a Man U title winning side? Zlatan didn’t get within an asses roar of winning the best league in the world.

Larsson won a European Cup and was part of a Sweden side that got to a World Cup semi final in 1994.

Sweden had a very undistinguished record with Zlatan and he never win a European Cup despite playing for any number Ofer franchises.

2 Likes

I would argue that Zlatan’s second season at AC Milan was as good a domestic season from a centre forward as there was in recent memory. Allegri got every bit out of him and an over the hill Milan side who had won the league the year before and were riddled with injuries but just came up short to an undefeated Juve team under Conte and Andrea Pirlo running the show who won the league. He carried that A.C Milan team on his back that year

2 Likes

Zlatan will be remembered most for four goals against in England in a friendly being marked by Ryan Shawgross and Steve Caulker.

It doesn’t change the fact he never really done it in the champions league which is the bench mark for great players.

Larrson instilled a big stage mentality any where he went.

Getting Celtic to a UEFA Cup final was some achievement and they were desperately unlucky not to win it.

@anon78624367 mentioned Zlatan’s attitude to being stood on … Larson snapped his leg in two like it was nothing. Just stood there smiling.

1 Like

Clive Allen in 1986/87 still the benchmark.

1 Like

I didnt

OK. Someone did.

Nedved said Zlatan is the greatest player he ever played with.

1 Like

Larson getting Celtic to a UEFA cup final was far far more impressive than anything Zlatan achieved in Europe in reality.