The Damien Duff Appreciation Thread

Duff was unbelievable against Holland in that position in 2001 and again over the 2002 World Cup.

He was brilliant at the start and in the World Cup but as time went on he was basically a defensive winger who offered very little going forward

I’d say those two Israeli games will haunt Brian Kerr to the grave.

I remember the home game seeing Ireland go 2 up and heading off to Saturday evening mass with a big smile on my face.

Absolute devastation to return to it being 2-2 at half time.

1 Like

So how is that disappointing for the majority of his career?

His first game for Ireland was 1998. He was brilliant until the 2002 World Cup and mixed to disappointing thereafter. That’s the majority

He scored 8 goals for Ireland

Duff was a great player. Injuries finished him.

Ha - it’s now mixed to disappointing.

I would also dispute that. Yes Trap was quite defensively minded and Duff put in a shift in that regard but he also was an attacking threat. His pull back for Robbie Keane in Paris was excellent. There is no way that time of Duff’s with Ireland was anything near disappointing.

1 Like

Fairly disappointing is basically the same as mixed to disappointing. Disappointing for a lad of his talent, not your average run of the mill Irish player. McGeady was a bigger threat going forward under Trap than Duff

How would his club goals ratio stack up versus international goals ratio

In fairness duff was always a winger in the 4-4-2. He wasn’t ever really playing in a 4-3-3 surely?

The assist in the Stade de France was brilliant.

Himself , Robbie Keane and Richard Dunne were all top drawer for Ireland

1 Like

Given was the best of the lot IMO.

Outstanding keeper but was finished his last few years.

2 Likes

He should have put us two up though in the second half and we’d have been in Cape Town in 2010.

I wouldn’t have Duff near the other two or Given with Robbie Keane miles ahead

Given was top drawer too

Ill be slated but i think McGeady was better than Duff for Ireland.

Ah Dunne was a mess for a good few years, it was only under Trap that he truly began to nail down a place. I love the guy but he was far from first choice for the first 8 or so years

1 Like