The Damien Duff Appreciation Thread

I think Duff was a much better club player than Keane,

Well thatā€™s mental over the course of their careers. McGeady was better in Euro 2012 qualifying though

I couldnā€™t care less about club career. Robbie Keane is our greatest ever player

3 Likes

Dunne in his early days was garbage. Him and Staunton against Portugal in 2001 were a calamity and had to be bailed out by Keane in front of them.

1 Like

Given rarely gets mentioned when people discuss the quality we had 15 years ago but he was a top quality keeper right throughout the 00ā€™s. Declined to a noticeable extent around 2011-12 which culminated in a poor Euros for him.

Staunton, Breen, Cunningham and O Shea all regularly started ahead of him for much of the 00s.

McGeady was 2 footed, more skilful. Hugely under rated.

1 Like

Greatest ever goal scorer

I think it is well documented he enjoyed life a little too much in his earlier years . We all partied

He couldnā€™t be considered a a single minute in the 02 WC because he wasnā€™t fit enough to Siri Iā€™ve. Staunton was 50 something and still was a better option.

I never realised you were a priest.

And player

Staunton looked after himself them . Richieā€™s staple then was beer , mars bars & kebabs

And smokes.

Fair play to him, he settled down and became a top defender.

And an alright sort.

2 Likes

Dunne got two tournaments, neither worked out well for him sadly

McCarthy imploding the camp in 01-02 ruined our chances of 04.

Iā€™ve facilitated a great discussion here.

Kev should take a leaf out of my book.

Shay Givens performance against Cyrus in 2005 saved us an embarrassing result there. He was superb that night.

McGeady was top class for Ireland. He would regularly get pelters when he was Irelandā€™s only creative player.

Iran qualifier 2001.

Home and away.

He pulled off a save away down at his feet which is as good as Iā€™ve ever seen.

I would have him right up there in terms of greats.

1 Like

He was more of an attacking midfielder as opposed to an out and out winger.