The Dating Thread - Part II

Exactly, married men are under fierce pressure the entire time v single men. Single women in their mid late 30s and up are generally bitter I find, the constant pretense of the have it all public projection.

A couple of my friends who are single in their 30s live the life of reilly pal, holidays, weekends away constantly, still playing football, golf on the weekend and a few bob each month. Now maybe they’re crying into their cornflakes with loneliness when they’re alone but I doubt it. Anyway, good luck, keep the updates coming.

Mr Amitri nailed it

And bachelors phone up their friends for a drink
While the married ones turn on a chat show
And they’ll all be lonely tonight and lonely tomorrow

3 Likes

Not the single ladies I know. Or not most of them anyway.

I find most people who are single beyond late thirties become a bit institutionalised by their own company and lose any ability to compromise their weekly/monthly schedule.

It’s almost rain man esque

Thursday is book club and non negotiable or Wednesday is 5 a side or Saturday is Strictly Come dancing til 9. They won’t move stuff to fit in a partner and aren’t used to living with somebody else so it is not something they want to do.

Maybe they are right.

Usually there’s one very bad break up in their history or an old flame where the embers still burn. More and more there’s a kid or two.

I don’t know how lads dating at that age do it really

3 Likes

A single lad I know in his early forties plays five-a-side six times a week. How could he not be single.

2 Likes

He in Limerick?

Múinteóir Áine could find herself in the cauldron of Healy Park on Saturday evening. Will she recognise Mattie Donnelly? This could determine her future.

If I was as single I’d almost certainly be an alcoholic, that’s just me, not castigating anybody’s life choices, just wouldn’t suit me.
It’s a young mans game

3 Likes

If she recognizes Cathal McCarron run a mile from her

3 Likes

What you mean? That’s you’re mad for drink and the family keeps you from it or you’d be so distraught you’d be drinking yourself into oblivion?

I’d say it’s more that he has an addictive type of personality and that he throws himself into things. Good or bad. Didn’t you say before you never really ran and then threw yourself into running like a mad fella @backinatracksuit ?

I think he’s just very stressed.

@HBV was a pure philosopher on this subject. I recall him sneering contemptuously at the modern lad dutifully following his woman around and staring at the back of her head.
It was quite visceral, yet poetic…but not in a way that could be called romantic, obviously

1 Like

Mention of said @hbv lad is timely. He’s due back on Sunday.
He’ll be like a new signing.

3 Likes

You sure? Thought it was last Sunday of October 3021.

Guaranteed. Me too.

Before I left Ireland I’d drink six or seven pints every night of the week. Just a routine like. I’d still be doing it if I was at home.

2 Likes

Jaysus. What age did you leave at?

These are the sort of boys who need relationships @glasagusban

Jaysus. You must have known what was good for you moving.