The Electric Vehicle Thread

You’re telling lies on the Internet, you uucoam

Scant on everything except fossil fuel lobbying.

Turn it off and on again.

It has been quite right-wing in its coverage in recent years, particularly after it was taken over by some American hedge fund.

1 Like

I’ve 17k done in my EV and the tyres are grand.

1 Like

Adapt or die

I have 90000 km up on an ID4 in about 2 years. First tyre change after about 60000 km. Got same tyres as were on it new. Syill plenty left in them after 30000 km.

Only complaint with the car is noticeable drop in range in cold weather. Have heat pump for heating but that still eats into the range. Even with heating off the range is lower when battery is colder. In summer about 400 km on motorway. On frosty day, more like 320 km on motorway without heating, maybe 250 km with heating on. So need to access fast chargers (normally don’tin summer), but so does everyone else, so more queueing. You meet the worst class of entitled cunts at fast chargers.

8 Likes

Agree with all of this. The lack of range in winter is alarming.

https://twitter.com/adrianweckler/status/1740354642176045490?t=v4hd5-LjtS9o8pRYS064oQ&s=19

2 Likes

Weckler really isn’t enjoying his switch to electric

2 Likes

Isn’t there consumer protection laws against this false information when selling items?

This shite annoys me tbh.

Anyone purchasing an EV and expecting to do those journeys without delay in the middle of winter on a stormy day is a fucking muppet.

Ideally the EV is aimed at the low mileage town city user.

To expect anything else without delay for charging is bizarre from so called functioning adults.

3 Likes

The advertised range is based on specific tests and those same tests are applied to all vehicles to enable comparisons to be made.

They should be viewed as the maximum range.

Weckler would have had no issue doing the journey if he’d dropped to 110kmh to offset some of the effects of the cold weather but instead he’s just another old man shaking his fists at the sky.

The present and future is electric whether people like it or not.

7 Likes

So don’t buy electric until electric improves I guess

No.

There are definitely sectors that won’t / can’t function economically on EV power.
Sectors like transportation of goods etc where high mileage towing weight is required.
Farming, construction & Hauliers a simple example.

The above will need Diesel or similar to do those jobs.

Anyone doing town, city low mileage personal driving should be in an EV.
There are far too many driving large suv diesel & petrol powered vehicles which don’t do the mileage or use those vehicles to their actual potential.
These buyers should without doubt be incentivised to buy EV’s and unless proving otherwise be taxed heavily to continue driving cages.

1 Like

Not disputing anything you’re saying, but what about people that need range and the only answer is diesel?

Stay driving a Diesel……

But, if your doing 90% of your driving about Dublin and then want to whinge about going to West Cork & having to stop half way to charge up, then fuck right off.

8 Likes

Again point taken. I did say need, and diesel is being phased out, and EVs are pretty shit. It’s going to be interesting.
In the case of LGVs, Ford won’t have a diesel van to offer by July '24.

Us diesel drivers are going no where.

1 Like