The Electric Vehicle Thread

Battery recycling is the next big industry. My car will be powering my powering my home when Iā€™m done driving it.

1 Like

Where will you put the battery? Beside the fridge?

https://twitter.com/ECOWARRIORSS/status/1740438818514473216?t=ygAbvYkCiRc8PMgBG4IKKw&s=19

1 Like

In the utility beside the existing battery pack, where else?

On the grid loading - can I just challenge that one while Iā€™m here?

Average distance per car per year in Ireland is about 13,500km. A decent EV will use (on average over the course of a year) 160 wh per km. The average car will there use 2,160 kWh over the year or roughly 41.5 kWh per week. Weā€™re using about 250 kWh per week in our house - a 16.6% increase in energy requirement is hardly grid shattering. Especially when most of that charging can be done at night when demand is at its lowest.

Now back to the Arsenal.

3 Likes

How about when your towing a trailer of turf or a lock of lambs to the mart? Now the nearest bog is 2km away but the bank is about 300 yards in the road. Nearest sheep mart is 11km on a Wednesday and 15km on a Saturday but thats more uphill.

What are you asking idiotic questions?

EVā€™s were never aimed at the consumer doing what you outline above.

Having the craic lad relax ta fuck

1 Like

The mouth breathers are getting irate

1 Like

Howā€™d that fair out for you, mate?

:hammer_and_pick:

1 Like

Very shortly thereā€™ll be new mainstream battery chemistries that will make us Lithium ion drivers look like awful gobshites. Such is life. I have a combined 300,000 km driven on Li ion over the past 9 years. Hard to quantify how much money Iā€™ve saved over petrol/diesel, but close to or north of ā‚¬30k. Economically sound investments. I drive conservatively, as I did on petrol/dieselā€¦ultimately Iā€™m a tight bastard, my primary motivation to switching to EV.

My ID4 might be unsellable in a few years, but fingers crossed Iā€™m still getting decent range, and still working off my Nickle/Lithium debt to the environment, while newer cars use cleaner sodium/aluminium/graphene/whatever.

3 Likes

Are you getting free electricity?

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1740198408751817104?s=46&t=YOfhVM10W0bcyIiYSLI3Wg

This is some charade

4 Likes

Free to who.

Cos itā€™s not the environment man.

Nothing comes close

Take it to the ICE thread

:rofl: I wish, where do I sign up

Most of that 300k was pre Covid when electricity prices were cheaper. Only really charged on night rate. Say average of 15 c per kWhr, 16 kWhr per 100 km adds up to ā‚¬7,200.

6.5 l/100 km (for my previous 1.6 l petrol) at ā‚¬1.70 (guessing thatā€™s about right) per litre adds up to ā‚¬33,150

So not quite ā‚¬30k difference over 8 years. And Iā€™m assuming Iā€™d have kept the 1.6 l petrol, but in reality might have bought a more efficient ICE instead of an EV. And it doesnā€™t include a rare trip to public charger.

But I probably would have drove more aggressively than 6.5 l/km in petrol car. And average night rate was probably less than 15 c for that period.

So maybe ā‚¬26k savings over 8 years.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/GerHerbert1/status/1742225901968900152

1 Like

VW ID 4 biggest selling EV in Ireland in 2023. The country is booming.

Iā€™d say the percentage on PCP is 70+

1 Like

Iā€™ve noticed this. The cars are almost back to tiger levels.