The Electric Vehicle Thread

Our postman was a grand oul cratur

Michael Dowling on X: “Look at those new Bord Gais rates! Means it now costs €1.10 to get 100 kilometre of range on an EV at night time EV rates vs about €10.50 with a petrol car. Thats an extra €130 a month for running a petrol car. It’s not minor. https://t.co/ROnNdxZR4i” / X (twitter.com)

2 Likes

There is something really satisfying about seeing virtue signalling wankers hit in the pocket like this.

1 Like

Aka, EVs are now affordable

1 Like

Agreed. This point doesn’t really address the sheeple that jumped on board when prices were clearly inflated.

Didn’t happen to me with either of my EVs when I sold them.

Entirely possible that this person is a simpleton.

3 Likes

Early adopters are needed as price cant come.down without them.

As they become more popular the price inevitably drops as does used market values.

There were advantages & disadvantages in getting onto the EV system early doors but the market always corrects itself

Did you not notice a greater rise in price when you bought your last EV?

I knew a lady that worked for IBM back in the 80s. She bought one of the first 286 desktop computers when they first came out. With her employee discount she paid $4k for it. That’s right 4K in ‘80s money.

Thats one name for them.

Buy a 60 grand car new and complain about depreciation :person_shrugging::person_shrugging:

5 Likes

Blast from the past! We had the 386 too.

What seems to be lost in the latest fad of arguments against EVs is that all cars are facing depreciation. As soon as you drive out the forecourt, whether its ev or ice, the value plummets. The fact that new ev prices are being reduced means the depreciation is more sharp on those bought in last 2 years. However if trading in against a new ev, the nett value is much the same to replace so it all works out. Where it doesnt, like in this case, is if one is just selling straight up and not buying another. And it will only really affect those who bought in 22 or 23. Anyone buying now will benefit from more balanced prices.

Plus, she sounds like a simpleton. Anyone spending that amount od money on any type of car would want to be 100% sure of it and that it is right for them

4 Likes

On PCP at that.

6 Likes

Whats the story with public fast chargers? How do you pay to use them etc?

Ive accounts witu esb and applegreen, get charged monthly

Is it per use or a fixed charge?

An ICE engine is the only job. EV’s are a total and utter cod.

Too expensive and they’re not in the slightest environmentally friendly either.

1 Like

Per use

1 Like