The Electric Vehicle Thread

Are they for the buses mate?

:grin:

While yeā€™re busy at them get them to check if Woderick misled the electorate prior to the referendum like a good little lad.

It appears townsfolk have finally recognised that the emperor doth wear no clothes.

Battery powered vehicles donā€™t cut it in the real world for non commuter type trips

There is a big segment ready for EVā€™s. Their use in those specific areas are most definitely of huge benefit to all around them.

Unfortunately, in other segments they are plain useless and that needs to be realised.

There are markets for both.

4 Likes

Itā€™s no different to vw telling lies about diesel.
And thereā€™s the statistic that something like 95% of all car journeys are well well well within the range of all EVs.
Oh, and youā€™re not poisoning the atmosphere for others, thereā€™s that too.
For the vast majority of people they are great. Five lads whining on twitter is a calamity these days. Just the way itā€™s gone.

1 Like

Exactly right.

I was in one group, and while there I saved a huge amount of money by driving an EV for about 6 years. The trade off there is managing the limitations that come with driving an EV. Range, public charging, limiting speed etcā€¦

Then my circumstances changed and the overhead of managing the limitations was no longer worthwhile. That put me in the other group.

6 Likes

+1 thereā€™s no reason for urbanites and suburbanites to complain too much about the range just because their EV is a bit of a pain in the arse the couple of times a year they want to go to Kerry or West Clare

3 Likes

Their

My first EV had an advertised range of 280km and did about 160km in the depths of winter if you were careful. Lads buying new EVs with range of 400km+ and complaining about range are some laugh.

Donā€™t get one if you canā€™t charge at home. That was the main reason we no longer have one, that and boot space.

2 Likes

Rent a car for the odd time, or car club/share.

1 Like

I have a phev. Itā€™s perfect for me. Electric around Dublin and petrol for the many trips to the Deise.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s the way I plan to go for next vehicle.

I find its the lads who dont own an EV complaining about a range of 400km being the bigger laugh. 400km will get people to most places and back on a home charge without having to rely on public charging.

The availability of reasonable priced family styled cars is not good which is a factor for a lot of people. Not having a 7 seater or 3 iso fix seats in the rear is an issue that needs to be sorted with more range from manufacturers. The EV9 is about the best at the moment for that sort of clientele, but its a very divisive looking unit, plus its north of ā‚¬85k to buy new.

2 Likes

Get a PHEV lads you can always rely on petrol to get you home plus there is cheaper tax.

The Golf version is nice.

1 Like

Thats what I have. Great car.

Havent seen that, got myself a bus for hauling shit around. Short commute to work so im saving the environment with the EV part

non commuter type trips?

so it doesnt cut it on a trip to the shops?

the new Dolphin has a range of 400km.

Would a person living in Dublin drive 400kms in a week? i doubt it

1 Like