The Galway Criticism Thread

There were a couplele of wiggers covering Eminem outside Brown Thomas at lunch.

Football is still very much the dominant sport in Connemara, especially in South Connemara the likes of Carna-Cashel, Leitirmór, Mícheal Breathnachs & Barna have all joined Carraroe in the senior ranks. Moycullen and Killanain are both strong Gaa areas.

The Rugby is really only confined to the Clifden and Oughterard areas. Gaa in Clifden has been very much second to Rugby for the last 20 years or more. The Club there has to bear a lot of the blame for letting that happen with little or nothing being done to stop the the rot. They were senior back in the early 90’s but have spent most of the past few years down in the junior ranks. They’ve had a couple of decent U-21 teams recently & have made their way back up to intermediate level so maybe the recovery is underway - The Rugby Club isn’t quite as strong as it was in the years when they were competing in the AIL so hopefully that will mean more of the local talent commitimg fully to Gaa.

2 Likes

Clifden is full of protestants, so it’d make sense that rugby is strong out there.

6 Likes

Thanks for that Jim, it took a local to identify the ins and outs of the particular local scenario. Informative post. Hopefully football in Clifton and it’s hinterlands make a strong revival soon.

1 Like

May well do but probably as attractive to fellas mid 20s to play decent level of junior rugby as is to play lower level AIL where the standard is pretty similar but the travelling is absolute murder. Connemara all blacks a great club

1 Like

Can someone recommend some relatively high class dining options on Galway city.

Blakes.

1 Like

Kai is a great restaurant that won’t break the bank.

Aniar is a great restaurant that will break the bank.
There’s lots of good options in Galway to be fair.

1 Like

You’ll enjoy Milanos there in the centre of town. Fine big restaurant with lovely pizzas.

2 Likes

Cava

1 Like

Kirwans lane. Tell mark I sent you.

“the marquis of didsbury sent me”

4 Likes

That and the handshake should get you a free glass of stella

1 Like

This has been covered before. There’s a Chinese place and Supermacs.

2 Likes

Multicultural.

Kai is the job. Dela is very good also. There’s loads of good restaurants in Galway. It’s not “Texas Steakout or Camille” you’re dealing with here.

1 Like

There’s also a Japanese place that doesn’t sell Japanese food.

2 Likes

To certain blow-ins, yes.

1 Like

Ah fuckit, Limerick still doesn’t know it’s born food wise but it’s coming on, small steps.
Galway is streets ahead.

@Juhniallio that Japanese place you mention peddles authentic Japanese food about 350 days of the year.

Ah look it I didn’t want to go there but looks like I’ll have to baby step you through this one.

Have you ever worked in a pub that serves Sunday lunch? Say if you have and you might come in on a Sunday morning and there are a load of travellers in there drinking after the manageress and the young waitress was too afraid to not serve them. So you’ll have to go over to the lads and let on that you were closing up now and no more drink was being served that day. :wink: Sorry lads closing up now ye’ll have to go. And then the travellers leave and you serve away to the normal folk.

Are you getting me at all?