The GPA

[quote=“The Runt”]Of course a player welfare body can have a positive impact, nobody is denying that, but the only welfare the GPA are looking for is the welfare of their pockets. I think it was Ben O’Connor who summed it up nicely when he said “Pay for play is not on the agenda… at the moment”. Dessie made very similar comments on TV3 last year. The GPA isn’t a player welfare body, it is an Inter County player welfare body.

You’d swear players are having to tog out in ditches the way you are going on.[/QUOTE]

GAA fills Croke park to the same level Rugby and Soccer does…They are pillared to the same level for bad performances as soccer and rugby players…they do drug tests straight after games like the other two…GAA players by and large are out of pocket with regards overtime etc for their efforts to be able to play to a high level in Croker…I don’t think its too much to ask for a small token of appreciation for their efforts…

So far the arguments against amount to kev’s bitterness about not being good enough to play for Cork, and mbb’s insistence that laois club hurlers are on a par with Brian Cody’s set-up.

I’d like to see the levels of unemployment amongst a cross section of 25 year inter county players and a cross section of non GAA playin 25 year olds. To say they don’t get plenty of small tokens of appreciation is crazy.

Nobody cares what you’d like to see.

:rolleyes:

Great response.

thats just common sense…if you were running a company…who would you pick?.. someone with a proven track record of dedicating their life to a cause they believe and made efforts and sacrifices to be the best or someone who you are just taking at face value?..Its a bit of a no brainer…I wouldn’t necessarily call that a token of appreciation…when you see a lot of intercounty sales reps…who do you think is using who??..Are you tellig me they are getting the job as a thank you for playing GAA…

Great response.[/QUOTE]

WTBs free market capitalist Gordon Gekko princaples being bady exposed on this thread

Who are you? The narrator?

Greed is good

WTB been shown up to be a total gobshite here.
Not one ounce of bitterness here, if there was i’d be like NCC and i’d have walked away years ago like a spoilt child. Instead i hope to unearth a county player or two from my own little patch.
The sad thing is, what you don’t realise, is its people like us who will be heard very quickly by the GAA if things went for the GPA, believe me, there is almost zero support for them in GAA clubs. They might get some if they lost the head of their organisation.

Is it really true that Puke is the only decent Clare poster here??? Sad, very sad.

[quote=“caoimhaoin”] They might get some if they lost the head of their organisation.
[/QUOTE]

well then your dealing with complete idiots with very weak minds if thats all it takes to change their opinions…don’t shoot the messenger, shoot the message…he’s representing the players who have apain in their ring…

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]WTB been shown up to be a total gobshite here.
Not one ounce of bitterness here, if there was i’d be like NCC and i’d have walked away years ago like a spoilt child. Instead i hope to unearth a county player or two from my own little patch.
The sad thing is, what you don’t realise, is its people like us who will be heard very quickly by the GAA if things went for the GPA, believe me, there is almost zero support for them in GAA clubs. They might get some if they lost the head of their organisation.

Is it really true that Puke is the only decent Clare poster here??? Sad, very sad.[/QUOTE]

A summary of a typical kev post

* The person I am arguing against is (generic insult)
* I’m a sound man
* Everyone thinks like me

There is idiots in every club scumpot.

I’ll never accept the GPA in its present form.

:rolleyes:

Awesome

[quote=“Watch The Break”]A summary of a typical kev post

* The person I am arguing against is (generic insult)
* I’m a sound man
* Everyone thinks like me[/QUOTE]

You talk like someone who is completely removed from a local GAA club, i’m just trying to educate you.

• The person I am arguing against is (generic insult)
  • I’m a sound man

[quote=“caoimhaoin”]

Is it really true that Puke is the only decent Clare poster here??? Sad, very sad.[/QUOTE]

There is some old Irish phrase thats describes this statement perfectly something bout a drowing man clinging to anything to stay afloat.

The GPA wouldnt exist if there wasnt genuine injustice - some of you mongs dont realise that of course:rolleyes:

you’re half right. we are getting away from the issue.

the GPA are established, and they’ve survived over a decade now without GAA funding. this isn’t about recognition.

the issue here is the GPA demand (and if you read the statement from the GPA (presumably Dessie’s statement),it is a demand) for 5% of commercial revenue.

their aims are certainly worthy, even if it is a copy and paste job from the PFA. but to paint the GPA as some plucky underdog struggling for basic human rights against a craven oppressor is disingenuous, and not at all up to your usual standard WTB.

what advantages would recognition bring to the GPA? presumably at least some of their autonomy would be lost. som of their sponsorship deals may come under scrutiny, surely Club Energise and Powerade would have issues being linked to different arms of the same organisation. the GAA’s policy of supporting indiginous companies would have to be respected as part of any recognition pact.

this is about money, simple as. whether you feel personally that inter-county players deserve the grant, or the GPA deserve 5% of commercial revenue is besides the point.

Did anyone hear Dessie at the Dail committee today. To paraphrase
“we demand to know who decided we wouldn’t get our money
We demand to know who decided our money wouldn’t be ringfenced
We demand…”
As a taxpayer i’d have jumped across the table and boxed him in the mouth, I’m surprised none of the FFers did it, there’d be a lot of votes in it for him. The arrogance of this crowd, completely out of touch with reality.

would you choose some dullard who is too thick to play a regular sport & probably want time off or a normal person- id go for the normalperson