The Gut Health Thread

https://ie.iherb.com/pr/Garden-of-Life-Dr-Formulated-Probiotics-Once-Daily-Men-s-30-Vegetarian-Capsules/64437?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=Cj0KCQjww_f2BRC-ARIsAP3zarGzlnJzVdDBJLvkNvLz0dX447NjDvTFwMWPPEQM-1P2Lc-wDfCn-zAaAojKEALw_wcB

1 Like

Dr @Thomas_Brady is also a gut health expert, he’ll be doing his rounds shortly

You need to have the mother ACV or you are wasting your time, thanks to @Thomas_Brady for the heads up

Id forgotten about buttermilk. Most of the hardline drinkers back in the 80s swore by buttermilk to keep them alive from session to session.

2 Likes

very hard to get it here on the mainland, you have to make it yourself with lemon juice, its just not the same

1 Like

Kefir milk.

1 Like

Joel Salatin recommends getting your hands in soil and taking the odd sip of water from the cattle trough. It would be handy enough to do both at the same time.

Joel has a fair point. He’s cleaning up too.

Come day, go day
I wish in me heart it was Sunday
Drinking buttermilk all the week
And whiskey on a Sunday

3 Likes

Pair of titties that’d make you wanna staaand up and beg for buttermilk

He’s playing a blinder. I’ve a townie pal who keeps telling me I should be strip grazing pigs to convert rough ground into pasture. Rough ground! I mean really…

1 Like

Savage stuff

2 Likes

Do you just ate it or what

Ate it, snort it, gargle it. Its very versatile

Unrale

Do you not give that stuff to cattle?

Yeah, we’d give them the off lick of it.

Probiotics may ease depression, research finds

Survey of papers shows promising results on alleviating anxiety disorders

Kevin O’Sullivan

Probiotics that broaden the mix of helpful bacteria in the gut may help to ease depression, according to a review of available evidence.

It provides further indication gut microbes have a major impact on health, including the immune system and brain activity – notably how people think, feel and act – and may, ultimately, provide psychiatric benefits.

The review, conducted by scientists at Brighton and Sussex Medical School and published in BMJ Nutrition Prevention & Health, explores the two-way relationship that exists between the brain and digestive tract, known as “the gut-brain axis”.

The possibility that the microbiome – the range and number of bacteria living in the gut – might help treat mental illness has become a focus of intense research in recent years, especially at the APC Microbiome research centre at University College Cork.

To explore this further, the UK researchers examined studies between 2003 and 2019, which looked at potential therapeutic contribution of prebiotics and probiotics in adults with depression and/or anxiety disorders.

Probiotics are often called healthy or “good” bacteria, while prebiotics are a type of fibre digested by this bacteria rather than by the human body. Foods high in probiotics include yoghurt and pickles, while those high in prebiotics include oats, bran and onions.

Among 71 papers, 12 probiotic strains featured in selected studies, primarily the bacterial species Lactobacillus acidophilus; Lactobacillus casei, and Bifidobacterium bifidium.

Probiotic supplements either alone or in combination with prebiotics may be linked to “measurable reductions in depression”. The researchers stressed the studies were over a short period with a low number of participants. “This makes it difficult to draw any firm conclusions about the overall effects, whether they are long lasting, and whether there might be any unwanted side effects associated with prolonged use.”

Prof John Cryan of APC Microbiome saidaway of treating brain disease and mental illness “through the gut biome” was some time off. However, researchers were “in a hopeful place” as there were definite effects.

Striking

Meanwhile, a study led by Prof Fergus Shanahan at APC Microbiome shows Irish Travellers have a gut microbiome which differs strikingly from that of the settled community, conferring considerable health benefits on them.

The study, published in the journal Nature Medicine yesterday, helps to explain why Travellers are unlikely to get inflammatory conditions such Crohn’s disease, multiple sclerosis and ulcerative colitis. A modern way of life increases the risk of such chronic diseases in part by influencing the microbiome, suggesting a possible negative health effect from Travellers settling.

Prof Shanahan said the findings confirmed Travellers were a distinct ethnic group, and had global implications for migrants coming from “non-industrialised locations” as they too would lose microbiome benefits that protected them against “modern” diseases.

1 Like

TFK way ahead of the curve again…

1 Like

The Kimchi makers and eaters showing the way

3 Likes