The Joe McDonagh Cup incorporating Christy Ring, Nicky Rackard and whoever else

Informative. I might watch that

Is he expected to play?

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

GAA coverage is shockingly covered when you think about the demand the country has for it (except for the hundreds of thousands of LOI fans of course). I mean you could have a weekend there where you have maybe 10-12 matches played across both codes and they crunch it all down to a 90mins odd show, where a third of that time is then given over to the drivel “I suppose” analysis from Henry Shefflin or the “growth mindset and cognisant” type speak you get from Derek McGrath. Most of the rest of the programme then has extended highlights of the two feature games that everyone watched live earlier in the day. Then the rest of the matches are ran off in 4-5mins of coverage.

There’s a real gap there for way more programming. As you say TG4 have done an unbelievable job of whatever they’re given whether it be ladies football or club matches. I mean they could be given another one or two matches every weekend, as you say start with the Joe McDonagh for TG4. People would love to watch Kerry v Offaly there today instead of some Western from the 1930’s they’ll be showing instead. RTE then should be adding a second highlights programme maybe during the week on a Wednesday to fill the gap to the weekend where it’s action only and leave the auld chat and ‘analysis’ of what happened to Sunday night only.

There is a huge gap then for a weekly talking heads programme previewing the following weekend’s matches. This could be penciled in for a Monday night maybe. Instead we have RTE again ramming down our throats that society has changed by showing every Womens soccer match from their ‘World Cup’ Vietnam v USA etc when i mean will 30k people watch that at home? The stupid bastards would have 300k conservatively tuning in at the same time if it was a show about hurling. They should be trying to maximise viewing figures which in turns drives up advertising revenue they can command, instead they are forcing their own agenda and the taxpayer has to foot the bill of their balance sheet which is in the red every year.

5 Likes

the Munster championship has been averaging 250k viewers
the sunday game highlights gets 100k

the demand isn’t there for more games

1 Like

Kildare playing Kilkenny in today’s minor hurlingLeinster semi final. Lot of good work being done by clubs in Kildare coaching kids hurling so hopefully today goes well for them.

It’s a niche sport in fairness.

1 Like

Source ?

I’m not sure if I’m a member of the tfk misogyny crew or not but, I’m much rather see this on TG4 right now than Netherlands vs Cameroon in the Women’s World Cup

1 Like

any idea what the crowds are like for this Joe MacDonagh Cup mate?
must be big anyway as Ofally usually play their games in a ground that holds around 20k
assuming there’ll be a huge crowd at kerry and offally today as @Mac said earlier its one of the most important games ever played for ofally
any idea of the TV coverage - assuming sky?

I’d imagine there actually will be a decent crowd in Tralee today.

Buff Egan is on the ground in Tralee and will be providing updates

They’ve tried that loads of times and it’s always been absolutely shit. Bar maybe Breaking Ball years ago

Going by the pictures I just saw from Tralee, I’d say there’s about 30k there

1 Like

Is this actually online? Tried the GAA Now section of the website and it’s just a load of nostalgia clips.

Savage atmosphere building around the town all day. Will add guts of 1m to the local economy

Offaly started well here. 2 points to nothing

Offaly 4 up but now a man down

Could some fire a link to this

I’m only listening on the radio